Repair exhaust dents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair exhaust dents?

A few weeks ago I bounced my 83 GS750e off the back of a Chrysler and gained a largish dent in the side of the right-hand cone exhaust pipe. The pipes are black, stock I think. The exhaust is not fully obstructed; the bike still runs. But the dent is kinda ugly.

Is there a good way to repair this sort of damage? It looks as though at least the last muffler baffle is welded into the cone, making me think this would be hard to take apart and harder to reassemble.

If there's no good way to repair it, has anyone got recommendations on finding a replacement, either stock or aftermarket? I looked at Sport Wheels and they seem to have no 1983s lying around but they do have quite a few older GS models. Does anyone know what models would have an exhaust that would fit? And can you powdercoat chrome exhausts? I'm kinda partial to the way the bike looks with black.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide!

I see stock black stuff for the 1100s on Ebay all the time. I think the parts interchanged on the 80/81 models - Can anyone advise. Serviceable versions seem to go pretty cheaply.

Comment

If you can find black stock replacements for those megaphones make sure you post where you got them. I have searched for black replacements and haven't found a friggin' thing. :x I managed to snag one from a wrecker when one of mine went south. but i had to dig through a pile of old pipes to get the right one. AND they were all right sides and i really wanted a left. Of course it was near the bottom. Good luck.

Comment

You may be able to repair the dent, especially if it is a round shape, using a body panel puller. (Also called a slide hammer) It's a bar with a sliding weight on it, a stop on one end, and a screw on the other end. You drill a small hole in the middle of the dent, then put in the screw.
        After that you slide the weight backwards and when it hits the end stop it pulls the screw back, and the panel with it.

Stop off at a body shop and ask them for an opinion....they may even offer to do it for you, as it takes almost no time to do....and they know how hard to pull the hammer. 8)

If that works, then a bit of muffler cement or weld job to close the hole, add high-heat paint, and you're done.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Check with body shop they can induction weld small connectors on to the pipe to attach a slide hammer to and pull it out with a slide hammer. Quick touch with a grinder and some black paint. No screw holes to weld. ta da finished

Comment

Working...
          X