Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuild questions: pilot jet plug and initial settings

I am rebuilding my 82 GS550LZ carbs (CV variety):

1. The pilot jet plug is worn - how important to replace this? Anyone have a source or should I just go through crotchrocket.com?

2. What air screw settings should I use to start off? I've seen 2 1/2 turns out. How about the idle throttle spot screw?

I'm happily cleaning and replacing parts right now but I'm a little worried that when I put everything back together it won't fire up and I'll be clueless.

the little rubber plugs are cheap, and my local dealer had em in stock when I needed them. I would replace em, it was the first question I was asked when we were messin with em in the shop, it musta caused someone a headache at some pont.

just back out main idle until it is all the way down (watching the butterfly) , and then open it a small fraction.maybe a quarter to a half turn, then when its running adjust as needed. use the method outlined here to bench synch em with a small drill bit or wire.

2 turns out will be a good starting point I would think. worked on my CVs anyway, they needed small adjustments byt the highest idle method.

make sure the hole is open on the pilot jet's tip. carefully use a small wire to clear the hole if necessary.

Comment

Thanks LW..

where's the bench sync procedure described?

now does anyone know what the purpose is of the plug? I mean what's the point of having a pilot jet if you're gonna plug it up.

Comment

here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=#332826 this outlines it for VM carbs, but the concept is the same on all of em.

and the pilot jet pulls fuel through the main. I think it may just be a matter of keeping fuel to the jets as they sit higher in the bowl, but I honestly dont know. but they do get fuel with the plugs in place.

Comment

Working...
        X