Old Bike Barn R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Bike Barn R/R

I have a 83 GS450TXD I'm begining to work on.

Has anyone used the Universal Rectifiers/Regulators from Old Bike Barn?
    They are a little cheaper than OEM and wanted to know if they are worth the price. I've read I can always get a CM400 R/R and they match up nice but even the Cm400 has a replacement R/R for stock, can we use that one for our GS's

Here is an image of my R/R and Igniter and the little plastic cylinder to the right of the igniter unit has a fuse in it but no wire coming out, should it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wish Id read that link before.

I waited 8 weeks on some emblems ordered from them a couple of months ago - ordered two side cover emblems and waited, and waited. when i placed the order i was told they were in stock. these bastards are liars.. over 8 weeks it took for the parts to arrive - each time i called they told me the package is on the way, after 6 weeks of the box is in the mail they changed there story an told me they made a mistake and were out of stock when i placed the order.

I think they are full of sh*t - I think they wait for your order and then try to get the parts.

Comment

BIke barn

Man!!!, thanks mixongw, and sleepy for the warning, it sounds exactly as you say. I read the above link by mixongw and it mentioned that they are located in Canada.

Any idea where because I'm in Canada and they sure could use a report sent to the better business bureau and a few choice words. Each province has a BBB, so I'm going to browse their site to see if their listed. I did look at Old Bike Bastards web site and could'nt find an address.

Thanks again.

Comment

Old bike barn address

Ok so Old Bike Barn has an American Address.

Old Bike Barn Inc.
        348 Route 11
        Champlain, NY
        12919-0771

It could be just a forwarding address. More searching is needed.

Comment

Geez, I'm glad I haven't ordered from them! I'm deleting them from my Favorites right away and won't waste time on them in the future. Sorry, guys, but no more Old Bike Barn Girl Of The Month!

Comment

Earl's Specter returns!

Guys, Cyclerecycle is the way to go! Great customer service, this guy gives you the straight dirt and will take care of you if he can.

Comment

Re: Earl's Specter returns!

Originally posted by Hotblack
              Guys, Cyclerecycle is the way to go! Great customer service, this guy gives you the straight dirt and will take care of you if he can.
              Link, please!

Comment

Here ya go: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/

Comment

Thanks Jimcor. What a duffer I am! I was just looking around Cyclerecycle and they sell what look like OE style R/Rs. For the GSs it looks like they sell some kind of Kawasaki unit for most. The buzz seems to be that Suzuki OE charging equipment is pretty wimpy, the Kaw units might be better.

Dennis Kirk sells Electrex and Rick's units, which are supposed to be much superior and for a comparable price. Get that OE stuff from a dealer and you could be spending a LOT more. I hear Electrex changed hands and isn't a good as it used to be, but Rick's seems good. I have a Rick's in my 550, no complaints except the fins just interfere with the tool tray a little. I bet they could be filed down a little without hurting cooling though. I don't have enough experience to say for sure which way to go, but so far Rick's is doing the trick. The key with any of them is make sure all components are good and ALL GROUNDS AND CONNECTIONS ARE SPOT ON.

Comment

I have a Rick's unit on my GS750 - bought it thru z1 enterprises - they don't have it on the web site, but I bought it at the same time I bought my Dyna-S ignition from them.

Comment

OLD BIKE BARN

Hey guys I feel your pain in regards to OBB. I order a set of friction plates from them and it tokk 5 weeks before i got them.

Going with OBB did save me about $30.00 bucks, and the plates that were in the bike were still pulling well enough to ride until I finally got the new ones.
                      The only way I will ever order from OBB again is right before or durring the winter season.

Comment

Thanks Jimcor. What a duffer I am! I was just looking around Cyclerecycle and they sell what look like OE style R/Rs. For the GSs it looks like they sell some kind of Kawasaki unit for most. The buzz seems to be that Suzuki OE charging equipment is pretty wimpy, the Kaw units might be better.

Dennis Kirk sells Electrex and Rick's units, which are supposed to be much superior and for a comparable price. Get that OE stuff from a dealer and you could be spending a LOT more. I hear Electrex changed hands and isn't a good as it used to be, but Rick's seems good. I have a Rick's in my 550, no complaints except the fins just interfere with the tool tray a little. I bet they could be filed down a little without hurting cooling though. I don't have enough experience to say for sure which way to go, but so far Rick's is doing the trick. The key with any of them is make sure all components are good and ALL GROUNDS AND CONNECTIONS ARE SPOT ON.
                        One of the members had trouble with Electrex. Maybe Leon/Focus Frenzy, but not sure. Might ask him about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel

One of the members had trouble with Electrex. Maybe Leon/Focus Frenzy, but not sure. Might ask him about them.
                          Yeah I could swear I heard (saw) two or more people hocketing back and forth in another thread agreeing about the general decline of Electrex recently. I can't remember who.

Comment

We switched to selling Rick's units. Not because of quality issues with the Electrix units, but price, availability and rapid shipment of our orders.

Don't judge Electrix quality from just one or two posts - often people put a new r/r unit on their bike when the problems are elseware - then they fry the new r/r unit and complain...

Comment

Working...
                            X