No announcement yet.

Old Bike Barn R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true but they were talking about testing them right out of the box and finding them bad. This is not an evil thing itself, any manufacturer of a product is susceptible to a momentary quality control lapse, even for a whole batch of stuff, but they had trouble dealing with Electrex too. I have to say that if you buy through a good supplier that has ace customer service you won't have that problem, Dennis Kirk and Cycle Recycle come to mind. If they have trouble dealing with the manufacturer they will stop carrying their product. Still, though I haven't ruled out Electrex products, I remember reasonable seeming accounts and tend to pass them on, I think word of mouth is important.

Comment

The problem with most of the new r/r units is you cannot test them to ensure they are good. There are test you can do on them that may show them bad (a subtle difference).

We went through this recently with some Kawasaki units from Rick's - the readings on a good one are IDENTICAL to a bad one - but it would not regulate correctly. I talked with Rick directly and he confirmed there are not any tests most people can do to validate the new units - you need some specialized equipment to really check them out.

With the older factory units, there are tests you can run.

Comment

The only test I've ever seen for a regulator is to monitor the voltage at the battery while the bike is running, whereas the diodes in a rectifier are fairly easy to test. I'm guessing the units in question were found to have a naff diode or three, which spoils the party wether the regulator part is okay or not.

When you say there are tests you can do on older units I'm assuming you mean the seperate rectifiers on the pre-80 bikes?

Comment

Working...
        X