final drive on '82 GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

final drive on '82 GS650GL

I am a new rider who inherited my husband's 1982 GS650GL (he rides an '84 Moto Guzzi now). He had ridden the GS650 for 20+ years (it has 30k miles) but after I was riding it for just a few weeks something happened to the drive train. The shaft sounds like it is spinning but it is not engaging the rear wheel, so something must have happened to the final drive. My husband doesn't have to tools to work on the final drive unit, and the dealer won't even look at it ("cost more than its worth"), so I am unable to ride but really want to! Does anyone know where I might find an entire final drive unit to replace the broken one, or recommend someone who might be able to fix it anywhere near in SE Mass? Any other suggestions? The bike is otherwise in great shape - I may have been shifting at too low RPMs and sheared something.. I was going up a hill, shifting from 2nd to 3rd at the time it "let go."

The repair should actually be fairly simple. On the Shaft drive models
    usually it is the wheel adapter that goes bad. Requires that you remove the rear wheel that's it. The adapter is bolted to the wheel
    go to http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
    look up your bike under rearwheel see item #15 Driven joint assembly

Comment

well, don't get to attached to the GS, your hubbie will undoubtedly need it back, when the Guzzi is broken and the part is indefinitely backordered, because antonio is still filing it out of a block of metal in italy somewhere.

because while you can still find any part you need for the venerable GS, the Guzzi is a lost cause when it comes to parts supply. shame to because they are nice looking bikes. (Ill take a Grizo)

oh, what lynn said sounds right, make sure ya grease that area up too, before you reassemble everything.

And welcome to the GSR Nadine.

Comment

If it turns out to be the wheel adapter, that's a part shared with the 850. That should make finding one easier. Lots of 850 parts show up here & on ebay.
        Let us know if you need one.

Terry

Comment

Working...
        X