Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead battery? bad starter? Something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead battery? bad starter? Something else?

I recently (a month or so ago) replace the battery on our 81 gs450l. It had been starting fine, but I wasn't able to ride it for the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately the bike lives outside and it has started to cool off at night. I tried to start it this morning & nothing. No lights, nothing. I have had a battery tender on it for the past four hours or so & I can get the lights & a click, that is it. Any ideas? Should I continue to let it charge? Whate else should I look for?
    Thanks from a serious newbie.

Let it charge for about 10-12 hours & then retry it, When it starts
    CHECK the charging circuit

Comment

"CHECK the charging circuit" Ok...how do you do that?

Comment

Ok, I feel like a total idiot. The battery read fully charged yet it wouldn't start, I scratched my head & checked the battery connections. A twist of the wrench & it started right up. Oh well, I guess this is how you learn!

Comment

If you plan on keeping this bike for awhile, or just want to save $$$$ that your local mechanic would just love to have, purchase a chiltons or haynes manual and read up on it. No Time? just put it in your bathroom, when 'colon call' comes around, you can learn while you churn!

Comment

Working...
          X