clutch shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch shaft

I recently purchased a 81 gs750e and while riding it back to the house,the clutch cable snapped on me at the stoplight,and now the clutch shaft cannot be moved or engauged by hand at all,I was wondering if this was normail without the cable,is it usually that hard to compress,i also tried with a pair of pliers on the end of the cable,and it would not engauge that way either.Any ideas????
    Thanks

No, it should not 'jam up any at all. Did teh cable break after it jammed up when you were using the clutch? If so, it may have to have teh cover removed and inspected inside to make sure throw-out bearing or hub is not damaged.

Comment

i just downshifted like normal at the stoplight,and the cable just broke,the handle went limp.I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary,i thought it was just the cable snapping,but it could be something more,i will have to drain oil and remove side cover and see...

Comment

I take it after the cable broke, you attempted to move the lever down on the engine by hand in order to shift the bike back into first, correct? have you replaced the cable yet? If so, is it still 'jammed' up?

Comment

thats it exactly,i could not push clutch shaft at all by hand,will replace cable tomorrow,and see if it will move with cable installed,in general is it usually that stiff,to where you cannot move clutch arm and shaft by hand?

Comment

Ok, that clears it up! Yes, it is very hard to move that lever by hand use only. When mine broke I had to learn how not to stop at red lights and stop signs without looking like it to all the cops! Just replace your cable, adjust down at the clutch area first, then finalise at the hand lever. Good luck!

Comment

Thats good to know,thanks alot for your input i really appreciate it,this board is the best i have ever seen for motorcycle information... alot of very knowledgable people on here...

Comment

Working...
              X