a few question regarding a rebuild 19800 gS 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few question regarding a rebuild 19800 gS 550L

I am working on a 1980 GS550L when I first got it, it had sat for a year or so in a outside garage with a dirt floor so it's seen some wear. I started doing a tear down now and a few quesstion came up.

1. Is there any good salvage yards out there that won't jerk me around. I've been dealing with SS 2 wheel, in Arthur IL over a rack of carbs for about 2 months now.

2. I had to bleed the rear break caliper to get it to move the rear tire at all. So I assumed the pistons were frozen, but when i removed the calper today I notice that the break step was locked as well. has anyone else came across this problem and maybe point me in the right direction to fix it.

3 It seems like it will shift into gears but is fairly stiff going in an out is there something I could do to maybe get it to lossen without tearing the gearbox apart?

thanks
    J-

Links for Parts

Here is a list I have compiled for GS parts OEM, aftermarket, and beginner specific. The sites is my own that I'm working on so be kind, thats only an hours work the other evening.

Comment

1. Willie's Cycle Salvage in Alabama, use to buy a lot of stuff from these folks, they have a webpage now http://www.williescycle.com/home.htm
      but why do you want different carbs? Are they missing or just dirty? Anything you get from a salvage yard will have to be completely torn down and throughly cleaned.

2. Could be the brake pedal shaft, try and squirt some WD40 or something where the pedal shaft goes through the frame, if this is it you may have to remove the shaft and clean it and grease it

3. Could be the same thing, the shift shaft could be gummed up where it passes through the countershaft cover

Are you sure its a 1980 L? I don't see an L listed in 1980 on Alpha Sports.

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

Originally posted by NICK!
        1. Willie's Cycle Salvage in Alabama, use to buy a lot of stuff from these folks, they have a webpage now http://www.williescycle.com/home.htm
        but why do you want different carbs? Are they missing or just dirty? Anything you get from a salvage yard will have to be completely torn down and throughly cleaned.

2. Could be the brake pedal shaft, try and squirt some WD40 or something where the pedal shaft goes through the frame, if this is it you may have to remove the shaft and clean it and grease it

3. Could be the same thing, the shift shaft could be gummed up where it passes through the countershaft cover

Are you sure its a 1980 L? I don't see an L listed in 1980 on Alpha Sports.

Let us know how you make out.
        thanks for the info, I need the carbs becaues the PO let it sit with Gas in it for about a year or so, so the float needles are corroded beyond repair. I already torn them down and I don't think a rebuild is even worth a try.

and yes I'm pretty sure it's a L I have the Vin numbers checked by one of the salvage yards I'm trying to get parts from.

As of Right now I have the Break peddle covered with blaster (breaking oil) in hopes it will release.

Wish me luck

Comment

Plenty of us own '80 550L's ... I have one sitting in my garage, so if Alphasports doesn't list it it's their mistake...

Good Luck!
          Steve 8)

Comment

Salvage yard: Cycle Recycle part ll : http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
            That's their new parts on line catalog but it has contact info in it. I haven't used these guys, but I hear nothing but raves from the guys who have dealt with them. The owner is very knowledgeable and likes to help.

Old 550 tranny's can feel 'notchy' especially if they've been ridden hard. 2nd gear in particular. I'd get the bike running before I worried about a notchy transmission...it's a case spliting job, or more practically, another engine. You can live with the transmission.

Would it be cheaper to have your old carbs rebuilt, rather than buy another set and still have to clean and rebuild those? You can spend some big bucks here so figger carefully: www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Comment

Float needles are readily available as are the seats and o-rings. I've put together some sets that were pretty rough. As long as the bodies are in good shape, most everything internally is readily available. Unless you just want a spare set, you should give those a go.

Comment

Working...
              X