Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil drain plug replacement?? what metric size are they??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil drain plug replacement?? what metric size are they??

so I am becoming suspicious of my secondary oil drain plug on my 81 650G, you know how there's a main drain and then another just underneath the engine cover in front of the shifter?

well, it's feeling like it might be stripping, I've never been able to get a real torque wrench in there as the frame is right below it, so I've always had to use an adjustable crescent wrench.

it's dripping oil slowly, and I've given it a bit of a turn a couple times, but I'm afraid it's going to just dump it all any second... what should I look for as far as a rubber plug/stopper that will be ready onhand for it??

thanks!

I've read a few options on here.
    1. The Good Ole Helicoil, but you must remove the pan.
    2. Someone just drilled and tapped it for a larger size Standard bolt. Being very carefull to keep the chips OUTSIDE. This would seem a pain to me. but could be easier than pulling the pan.

You could try and get an oil pan drain bolt gasket from an auto store. Not sure of the size of yours, you may get a brass washer or similar from a hardware store.

Oh, forgot, the Auto Parts stores here have a Self-Tapping drain plug that is for this reason, problem is that they only carry the Metric Course thread and mine is the Fine thread. You may go that route too, depending again on the size and pitch of your plug.

Good Luck.

My Main plug has a couple threads that are stripped and I have been careful and lucky that it hasn't gone on me yet.

Comment

thanks a ton, so now I think I just need to determine the actual size of the hole first, seems the fellows at the auto store here are pretty much useless aside from finding a box on the shelf... especially for motorcycles :roll:

Comment

Re: oil drain plug replacement?? what metric size are they?

Originally posted by snowbeard
        so I am becoming suspicious of my secondary oil drain plug on my 81 650G, you know how there's a main drain and then another just underneath the engine cover in front of the shifter?
        You know that is for the middle (secondary) gear the transmits power to the drive shaft. It is a separate compartment from your engine oil and should contain 80-90 gear lube, not motor oil. I would probably try a gasket first.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

The drain plug (at least on my 850) is the same thread size as one of the spark plugs. Off the top of my head, I think that is maybe possibly 14mm diameter X 1.25mm thread pitch.

Can anyone verify?

I bought most of an engine from eBay a while back, and someone had plugged the oil drain with a spark plug. Classy.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

aha, I'll just go get a spark plug new, how hot should I get for the oil?

dpep--> on an 850 it's secondary gear oil, but on my 650 it's just the same oil as the engine. trust me, it's in the clymers :roll: but it was funny when I decided I "knew the routine" for changing oil on my new 850!! good thing I had more 90W around!! 8O

Comment

Working...
            X