Need a front fork part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a front fork part

Finally threw my front forks back together Saturday, but still need to figure out what's going on with them. If you look here, parts 24 and 25 simply aren't there (and weren't when I got the bike). I have no idea why they were removed, but I can only assume the forks would function better when not missing pieces. The Suzuki part number is 51195-34310 for 24, but I haven't been able to get the number for 25. Both list as being discontinued. Anybody know why these might have been removed, and/or where to get a replacement? This is on my '82 GS750E.

Suzuki part number 51123-34310 for 25. Might try the bone yard or e-bay
    for forks.

Comment

Thanks. Where were you able to pull that? All of the online fiche I'd checked so far didn't list it. I've checked eBay and no luck, but I'll keep looking. If anybody has an old set of forks (and I don't care about anti-dive, just want to keep the dual brake system) I'd love to hear from you.

Comment

i wouldn't worry about it... if you didn't notice the part was missing before, you probably won't now. Its probably just a wrong/different diagram

Comment

The forks are extremely soft, and obviously missing parts. They 'work' as in there is resistance to going up and down, but that's about all I can say for them.

Comment

I'm not sure about your model, but the pieces you're missing correspond to the pieces I have that provide stability (and lift I believe) at the bottom of the fork for your dampening rod. That might explain the sluggish reaction of your fork.

It might be a bad diagram, but if I'm right the weight of your bike is being transfered to the fork at a weakened point. I wouldn't ride with that fork, or use it until you're absolutely sure its put together right.

Comment

Seems reasonable... I've put about 4k on the bike as is, but maybe I really should stop until I can get the parts. Not sure how I'm going to do that though, unless I can find a used set. The missing piece (24 that is) definitely rides over a series of valving holes in the damper rod.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                Thanks. Where were you able to pull that? All of the online fiche I'd checked so far didn't list it.
                Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

Great, I had forgotten to bookmark that site the last time I was looking for parts.

A local contact seems to think he's got an old set of anti-dive 750 forks in his garage that I can have. Hopefully the parts I need are still functional.

Comment

Just curious, have you checked with the dealer?

Brad tt

Comment

Not this time around, but in the past they were no better at getting discontinued parts than I was digging online. If you've got anybody nearby that has a track record of success in this area, I may need to get in touch with you if the local deal doesn't work out.

Comment

As long as you have the correct part #'s, it's just a matter of making a phone call. Let me know.

Brad tt

Comment

I've got all the part numbers. I'll call them next week if the forks don't work out.

Comment

Source For Parts

Another place I've found for parts is http:\\www.bikebandit.com Their prices seem reasonable.

:twisted: Mad Doctor :twisted:
                            '78 GS550E
                            '85 GS700ES
                            '99 GSF1200S
                            Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
                            '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
                            '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Comment

I ended up getting these. Hopefully they're in good shape and complete - always a gamble on eBay. It would be nice to have a 'real' front end under this thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X