CARB SWAP FOR GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARB SWAP FOR GS1000

Hi guy's can any help with swaping the vm mikuni's for bs34's or I was thinking about early GSXR 750 flat slides as I can get the GSXR carbs as cheap as bs 34's.I know I will need new manifolds but which one's,I do have a set of GS1100 ones but port size is huge and the bolt holes don't line up.
    Cheers Tony :?

You need an 80 or newer 1000/1100 head (2 valve).

Terry

Comment

Hi Terry I do have an GS1100 G head but I thought I would lose to much compression,I will use it as last resort as it needs a lot of work.What about 850 manifolds,I think they have 34's not sure if there ports are smaller.
      Cheers Tony

Comment

The 1100g head has a different part number than the 80-81 1000 head. The only way to be sure about compression loss would be to measure the combustion chambers to see if they are different. You could install a wiseco 1085 kit while you have the bike apart. That would compensate for increased combustion chamber size.
        The manifolds also have different part #s for the 850 & 1100. The 850 uses 32mm carbs, the 1000/1100 34mm.

Terry

Comment

It is possible to mount them BUT it would require custom made adapters
          Nothing over the counter so to speak The head ports are so small you are just beating your head against the wall

Comment

Maybe someone running 33 smoothbores on a small port head (78-79) can answer this. I have a set in my garage that I used on my 79 L-model head with 33's but they have fogger nozzle holes drilled in them.
            The part number on the intake boot is 16065-1036
            Bolt pattern is small like the small port 1000
            Inlet size is way bigger than the stocker
            Also appears to not use an "O" ring for a seal to the head
            I possibly purchased them from MTC 20 years ago along with a brand new set of 33 smoothies

Comment

OK after a quick google search I came up with a page that shows these intake boots as fitting a Kaw.....
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Thank's for all your replie's guy's,Hey Bad Billy B is your motor stock,did the 33's make much of a differance in power.
                I have also got a set of BS32's and manifolds from a GSX750 coming this week ,brought for spare's for my 550L, won't know if they would fit until I see them,I know when I raced speedway ,that you can bore out standard 1000 VM's out to 30-31 mm and turn into a cheap smooth bore, I have to investagate some more.
                Cheers Tony

Comment

Originally posted by KIWI GS1000L
                  Thank's for all your replie's guy's,Hey Bad Billy B is your motor stock,did the 33's make much of a differance in power.
                  Cheers Tony
                  Stock??...No way. It was as fast as a modern day Busa. Ran 9.70's in the quarter with air shift, 4 inch over arm and a Pirelli Phantom.......This was over 20 years ago. Story here.... And yes the 33's were awesome http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=street

Comment

The '78/'79 1000 runs very good with Mikuni 29 smoothbores, especially with 1085 kit, K&N's, quality pipe, mild cam, Dyna ignition.
                    Plenty of power and will run a long time.
                    I also suggest welding the crank and clutch basket.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                    X