'84 GS550 Relay Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 GS550 Relay Starter

Whenever I hit the start button, nothing happens. Not even a noice or anything. The only way I can get my bike to start is to put something between the relay starter and jump it across. I don't think the relay starter is bad and I checked to see if the start button was bad, but it all looked fine. Could it just be the wiring messed up or shorted out somewhere and thats why? Or is it the relay starter and will it have to be replaced? I have two relay starters and they both do the same thing, so I really don't think that is the problem, any help would be great...I really don't want to spend any more money than I already have on this bike. Thanks for your help.

First make sure the relay has a good ground. Take a jumper from the battery (+) & touch the small wire on the soloniod. It should cause the soloniod to operate. if it does work Something is wrong with the clutch switch, start run switch or the wiring between them

Comment

Make sure the kill switch is "on" and remember that you have to pull in the clutch.

Comment

Make sure the clutch is pulled in all the way ..........

I replaced my handle bars on 450 L and it wouold not start at first the leever wasn't in all the way You have to give the lever a little fooling to get it to start. What ever it is. It's something simple.

Comment

'84 GS550 Relay Starter

I've been off this site for a long time, but here is my two cents regarding the starting problem after replacing your handlebars..
          All GSes I've seen have two tiny reed like switches located below the clutch and handbrake levers. The switch below the clutch is a protection device in case the bike is in gear when you try to start your bike. The clutch handle needs to be pulled in order for the bike starter circuitry to work. (I believe the wires from the switch are part of the starter relay coil circuit.) I've taken the wires that run up the left handlebar from the headlight cowling chased them back and plugged the bullet connectors together. It bypassed the clutch sensor switch, thereby allowing the bike to start whether or not the clutch is depressed.. (Just be careful to insure your bike is not in gear!)
          Let me know if this works..

As a side note, the same type of switch is used for your handbrake brake light contact. I have no recommendations for that other than clean the contacts and reassemble..

Comment

Working...
          X