Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

92 GS500E...mtr wont make a full revoultion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 GS500E...mtr wont make a full revoultion...

valves dont appear to be stuck or dropped..pistons are goin up an down..
    will a faulty starter clutch cause this to happen??

Provide a little more info. Is it just on the electric starter that it won't go a full rev? How about if you place it in gear and push it... will it turn over then? Remove all the spark plugs first, then try to spin the engine on the starter, then try also to push it while in gear. let us know what differences these steps make.

Comment

did all that,,tryed roll startin it,,mtr wont make a full revolution..
      removed plugs turned mtr by hand,,acts like its hittin something solid

Comment

Did this just start or has it always been like this?

Comment

yes it was runnin,,guy shut it off,,,then it wouldnt start an the mtr wont make a full revolution..

Comment

That's completely not cool. I'm guessing you looked under the vlave cover for the valve status. It might be worth the trouble to take the stator cover off and have a look. You'll be able to tell if the starter is hung up, or if something's jammed in the gears or if they're broken somehow. Do they have an automatic cam chain tensioner? That would be a good thing to check too. Man that's a bummer, good luck.

Comment

Good advice. If the valve cover is off, make sure the cam chain is OK. If it broke, it would probably act like this.

I was thinking starter myself, like the starter gear isn't retracting or something (I'm in the dark here).

Good luck - hope it's something simple.

Comment

Something similar recently happened to a friend of mine, Honda Magnum V-4. He shut it down one day and would not turn over the next. This was a low mileage bike but 1984 vintage. When he finally pulled the heads, he found a small piece of metal stuck in the piston. No damage had occurred to anything in the engine. Never found where the metal came from. Reassembled it and everything is working as it should. Don't know if this is the case but it is a possibility. Good luck.
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

ive removed the valve cover..chains ok,,,valves ok
                  removed the alt cover an turned by hand mtrs hittin something inside..
                  its got me stumped 8O

Comment

If you are desparate enough, you could remove the camshafts and see if the problem persists. Of course, you would have to 'walk' the cam chain around. That way, you've at least eliminated the valve gear and know it's something in the lower engine/trans. Sounds like you'll probably need to take the engine down anyway.

When the engine stops, can you distinguish where the contact is occuring -as in a noise?

Hopefully, someone will have an easier suggestion for you

Comment

Originally posted by hb
                      ive removed the valve cover..chains ok,,,valves ok
                      removed the alt cover an turned by hand mtrs hittin something inside..
                      its got me stumped 8O
                      I'm wondering about the tensioner and trying to imagine it malfuncioning and jamming the chain, and you wouldn't be able to see it from up top. It should be easy to check and rule it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X