81 GS450 S. First bike, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450 S. First bike, need help!

Bought a GS450 S as my first bike, in great shape. The only problem with it is that I 100% despise the Suzuki star wheels. I want some plain old spoked wheels for it, but have absolutely no idea how to go about locating proper replacements for them. I can't seem to find any online shops specializing in aftermarket wheels.

Can anyone help me find some spoked wheel I can swap the stars out for?

Front wheels is 3.00 - 18
    Rear wheel is 3.50 - 18

Aside from that she runs like a dream and looks like a much more expensive bike! I couldn't be happier with every other inch of the bike.

Please help!

no advice, eh?

Damn... I guess I might have to live with them.

Comment

I have... (learned to deal with them that is)

As other things have taken priority over the wheels I haven't had the time I'd like to have in researching this very mod. I am sure it can be done, that there's some bike with spoke wheels that'll match up decently to the 450E and S, I just haven't tracked it down.

If I do I assure you I'll post on it in the appearance mods section

Comment

Thanks so much, I'll keep an eye out.

I've had no problem at all locating rear sets, clubman bars, a nice 2 into 1 exhaust, etc... these damn wheels seem to be the bain of my motoring existence.

While I've got your attention though... do you think a center stand from an 81 GS550 would work on an 81 GS450 S? I really prefer the center stand, and it apparently only came on the L models.

Comment

Dunno about all.... but both our E and S have both kick and center stands.

Check Ebay for them or a parts yard. I am pretty sure most of the 450's came with a centerstand.

Looks like L and E and S all have the same part numbers in '80 and '81. Only the T has a diff part #.

Not sure what year you are looking at, but you can compare part #s at Bike Bandit and similar sites for crossovers if yours isn't one of the years I showed. Not available 'New' it seems though. Will have to get used or N.O.S.

Comment

In case you were interested...

The late 70's kawasaki KZ400's have wheels of identical dimension to the 80-82 GS450S. Nice plain chrome spoked wheels.

Comment

Working...
            X