Yup,...she's a hard start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup,...she's a hard start.

So as some of you know, I picked up my '83 750 T the other day and the PO warned me that she needed starter spray to help her start if she's not run everyday.

I charged her fully and she def. needed the spray. Had to still sit there blipping the throttle for a long while before I could back off on the choke at all. Was just trying to move her to the garage, so I only had her running for about 5-10 minutes, but she never fully got off the clutch.

It's been recommended that I run some Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner. Think this'll cure it?

Also how do you know when your valves need adjusting? Does it sound like a slight rattle? And when I say "slight" I mean incredibly so.

carbs need a real cleaning, techron might do it but it will take a while for it to work.
    also if you remove and clean the carbs you can drill out the bleed air jet plugs and adjust the bleed air circut making cold starts easyer and shortening the time it has to run on the choke.

does it have the stock exhaust? and is it in good shape with the baffles intact?

Comment

It does have the stock exhaust and it looks great. No rust whatsoever.

I figure I'll make one run with a tank of Techron and another with Xylene and MMO.

I'm wary of pulling the carbs apart because I don't want to have to attempt to sync' 'em.

Comment

Try Berrymans Chemtool b-12, its about 2-3 dollars a can at walmart, and dissolves varnish and gum in the fuel system fast.

matt

Comment

Someone told me it would also dry out the rubber, but I thought that with some MMO as well would protect and lubricate it enough, especially if I run a tank through as fast as I can.

Comment

I bet the intake boots are totally leaky. That will cause it to be real hard to start because too much air gets in.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I've always found leaky boots will lead to a pretty easy start and a real high idle. But the boots looks nice and pliable. Real rubbery.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMattyD
                Try Berrymans Chemtool b-12, its about 2-3 dollars a can at walmart, and dissolves varnish and gum in the fuel system fast.

matt
                Should I throw on some fuel filters with that stuff?

Comment

Also, try setting the petcock on prime for a minute before and leave it there while starting.

Comment

What do your plugs look like after being on choke a while - dry, gas-wet, oil-wet, black/sooty? There is a possibility it's not the fuel system.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about drying out rubber parts. At the dilution you use it in the fuel tank, it should be safe. Full strength would cause damage, I think.

I used it for 2 tankfuls back in June, with no ill effects.

Matt

Comment

Any positive effects?

Again, should I slap on a fuel filter for all the stuff this is gonna (hopefully) shake loose?

Comment

Here are a few more Qs for you....

What did she run like before you bought her? Is it running any different now, (meaning, did something make her start running rough), or was she rough to begin with.

The usual fuel scenarios are: fresh fuel, petcock, carbs. The fresh fuel is easy (drain and refill). For the petcock you can disconnect the fuel line between pc and carbs and check for flow. As for the carbs...which is likely the problem if its been sitting a while, they're probably due for a good cleaning, need to be resynched, or the choke might not be functioning (fully closed, fully open, etc).

What do the plugs look like? Is it possible its not fuel but spark related instead?

Comment

Working...
                          X