Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Intake Manifolds" - anyone ever tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Intake Manifolds" - anyone ever tried this?

I had some rotten intake manifolds on a 79gs1000. anyways, they were so bad that when i took the carbs off the rubber came with them. the part where the screws go through was completely gone. I got creative, and after thoroughly cleaning both the metal and the rubber, i used the black RTV to take up the and bond the rubber to the metal at the same time. I put about 10 gallons of water in a bucket on top of the set, and let them sit overnight. after they hardened, they were so strong that you couldn't pull the rubber off if you tried, and the carbs easily held. It's been a month or so, but now i wonder... over time is the gas going to eat that seal???
    Yamaha fz1 2007

The Gas will eat through the RTV in short order. If the rubber carb boots are cracked, they need to be replaced.

Comment

It will dissolve before your very eyes. Spread RTV onto a surface and pour a little gas on it. The worst part is if a piece gets inhaled into the engine and gets in trouble somewhere.

Bit the bullet and pony up for some new boots. They should be good for another 30 years.

Regulators, Rusty Tanks and Carb boots are the three big problems with these old girls. Drop a Honda Regulator on it and clean out the tank and you should be good to go.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

In a similar vein, I just used high tack gasket sealant from autozone instead of o rings. It's gas proof. It works. rik

Comment

I BOUGHT THIS GAS RESISTANT SEALANT AT WAL-MART CALLED "SEAL-ALL" FOR $2. MAYBE A LAYER OF THAT OVER THE RTV COULD HELP THIS. AFTER A WHILE THIS STUFF HARDENS AND ALMOST BECOMES LIKE A PLASTIC. I USED IT ON MY 450 WHEN THE BOOT CRACKED AND IT WORKED FINE. THE THING IS SOLID. BUT NOTHING BEATS NEW BOOTS

Comment

Intake boots, Part # 13110-4900, $30.54 ea.

O-ring # 09280-32006, $1.74 ea
            30 year service life, not a bad investment...

Comment

If you found a radiator hose the same inside diameter of the intake boot and cut it into 4 equal size pieces, with some hose clamps, would that work?

Comment

"If you found a radiator hose the same inside diameter of the intake boot and cut it into 4 equal size pieces, with some hose clamps, would that work?"
                nope, because the steel part is flat (no cup)
                *=steel
                %=rubber

*%
                *%%%%
                *%
                *%
                *%
                *%%%%
                *%
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Man. you guys are CHEAPSKATES. I understand not wanting to spend money you don't have to, but this is necessary stuff. black taping a seat cover is acceptable cheapness, but induction parts need to be right or you fry engine parts.

blow the dust of that wallet and ante up for some new boots and Orings. Jeez. the dealer I work for sells the boots at 26 bucks apiece or so brand new from suzuki.

Comment

spchips....
                    I wanna see a photo of that van.. :roll:

Comment

I agree about replacing the manifolds with new or at least good condition used.
                      The home repairs mentioned above will break down and cause more work.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by ZinMaker
                        If you found a radiator hose the same inside diameter of the intake boot and cut it into 4 equal size pieces, with some hose clamps, would that work?
                        this has been tried and rejected already.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                        X