seems to be a spark problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seems to be a spark problem

I have an 83 gs 1100 that a buddy gave me. He's the best Mcguyver I know. Problem is we moved out of state and now I decided to get this thing running.I think he used to race it and he took all the safety type switches off.The turn signals, kick stand switch,basically everything except the headlight taillight and brake light. It does still have the fuse box and the ignition fuse is used as the key. Yes I do have a title. He even replaced the shocks with steel bars, said something about wheelies, more wheelies, less wheelies, I don't know or care.He also put on an aftermarket ignition a Dyna.It also has a 4-1 header. I got some carb boots and shocks off e-bay. I have to replace the battery,I'm pretty sure, because I need to jump it to get it to turn over. I've read and copied many technical posts from this sight and have gotten this far. Right now the only effort that the bike makes to start is when I crank it and push and pull the ignition fuse out rapidly and repeatedly. I found this out by it backfiring big time when I was checking the fuse.I'm leaning toward weak coil[s] and think that I'm energizing them. It does have some spark. Any help? I have a multi tester if anyone can steer me I'd sure appreciate it. I haven't been able to get ahold of old Mcguyver. Thanks guys ,Dan

Turning on and off the electricity to the ignition system and getting a backfire indicates to me that the coils are ok. Making and breaking the circuit repeatedly is like using a set of points. I would check your electronic ignition pickup.

Comment

I would think a good working charge up battery would be your first order of business. Get a new one or make sure the one you have is a good one. You can't go much further until that is taken care of.

Comment

spark problem

Thanks guys. 3phase- you nailed it. It was the magnet part of the ignition.It wasn't bolted onto the crank and was just free spinning, thus timing off. Thanks again. Now I get to move onto the carbs,joy. I bought an ignition switch too.

Comment

Working...
        X