Topend apart.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topend apart.......

I got the topend taken apart this evening. All went quite wel except for one tiny little thing that has me a bit worried.

As I was pulling the cylinder block off the engine, some dirt fell down into the engine that I obviously missed when I was cleaning it up. It wasnt a huge amount, I got what was sitting in plain sight the best I could with a vacuum cleaner. NOW, if I just go ahead and change the oil before I fire it back up after putting it back together, is everything going to be alright?

What I was going to do was just change the oil, then run it for a little bit (an hour or so) then go ahead and change the oil and filter AGAIN. Am I going overboard here?

What should I do?

On the other side of the coin, everything came apart really nice, everything looked real good. I went ahead and pulled the pistons off the rods so I can thoroughly clean them before reinstalling. The cylinders looked excellent, still had a decent crosshatch on the walls and no ring lip at the tops of the cylinders.

I am going to tear the head down and check all the specs on it and clean it up a bit while I am there. But so far everything looks real good. It has a fair amount of carbon buildup in the head and on the pistons. Could this possibly be from running too high octane gas?????

All in all the evening went quite well for this being the very first time to ever tear into a motorcycle engine. I was happily suprised as to how dead simple these little rascals are to work on.

Anyway, just thought I would fill everyone in on how the teardown went, along with some questions and concerns. I will quit blabbing now.

Thanks

You can always stick something like 5/16" hose in the vacuum cleaner nozzle and tape it closed, then you can work the smaller hose around the crankshaft and other area's.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Or you can remove the sump (won't do any harm to check the gauze anyway), and quickly dump a gallon of kerosene into the crankcase mouth to flush away any foreign bits. Don't forget to put a basin underneath to catch it!!

Comment

Ah, yes. I forgot about taking the sump off.

I believe I got a sump gasket with my kit, I will do just that.

Thanks!!!

That will make me feel a ton better, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard when I saw that dirt fall in there.

Thanks again.

Comment

Don't know the model and size of your engine, nor the mileage on it, but you can bet if it's more than 5k miles, it'll have carbon buildup on the pistons and inside the combustion chamber. There's nothing abnormal about that. If you do have the pistons completely removed, it's not difficult to clean the carbon off with a soft wire wheel or even a glass bead blaster if you have access to one. Do NOT wire brush or bead blast the ring lands under any circumstances. It'll ruin the machine finish that the rings seal against. If the ring lands are carboned enough to require cleaning, fabricate a scraper from slivers of plexiglass or lexan. It sharpens easily into a razorblade-like edge, but is soft enough to not harm the aluminum. Plexiglass scrapers also make excellent gasket removers for the same reason, they can't harm the aluminum.

Comment

Working...
          X