Synchronizing Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronizing Carbs

Can someone explain to me what you are accomplishing Synchronizing the carbs.

I have the mercury stick to do it but I am not sure hoe to do it and what it does.

When accelerating up a hill on a warm day the bike just loses power and starts coughing and sputtering.

I am wanting to do this on a 1983 GS850.

Can someone direct me to an old post that talks in depth about what to do and how to do it.

I ran thru the search feature but was not able to find anything.

Thanks

Jason

Synching the carbs makes sure that all the carbs are pulling the same vacuum which in turn means all the cylinders a getting the same air/fuel charge. This smooths out the idle and makes optimum power. Cruising around town will be much more enjoyable with the carbs synched. It doesn't have much effect at high rpm's but down low the bike will ride noticeably better. You should have screws on the head where the carbs mount that you remove and screw in your synchronizer fittings. Carb #3 has no adjustment so you set the other three up to match it. I can email you instructions from my manual if you PM me your email address.

Comment

Have a look here.

SV

Comment

I have a mercury meter not the ball meter. From what I gather I am to bring each carb to the center of the gage with the ball meter. I have only #'s on the mercury gage and it is about 2 - 2 1/2' long. How do I use it.

Some of the stuff I read says you do one carb at a time then you go to the next one. Why do I need a 4 carb meter if you are only setting one at a time? Is it at the end you are verifying that you have them all the same when you are done?

They Mikuni carbs that I have look different than what is in the book. Mine has a big round cap on them instead of the oval cap like in the book. Do they adjust the same? Where can I find a part# on the carb?

Sory for all the ?'s I just do not want to mess anything up.

I have a pm sent to Billy Ricks with my email address.

Thanks Jason

Comment

Yours are like the ones in the instructions I've sent. Just skip the part on adjusting the guages. You can set yours with the mercury just slightly lower on the two center carbs if you want to.

Comment

Here is a pic of the mercury stick where do I sync the carbs to, the center of the stick?

Comment

Measure the pull of the 3rd carb, then adjust the other 3 carbs to match the pull of the 3rd one. It doesn't matter very much what the reading is (as long as you have good vacuum which I assume you do... check with a can of WD40 around the boots while its running), its more important that they all read equal, or the centre two carbs should be a tad lower than the outside two because they run hotter.

Comment

Working...
              X