Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOASTED R/R *PIC* But why?

Take a look at my Toasted OEM R/R:

Only thing I modified was the black and red directly to the battery terminals. Worked with Zero issues for the last 2k miles

Started with smoking wire at R/R from one of the stator phases one day. Ok resistence some where. Changed the connectors to gold plated and no more smoking. Checked phases and still all reading around 84V at 5k. Went and checked battery terminals for V's and everything looked correct. All of a sudden blue "light" (probably a flame) came from the back side of the R/R. Pulled it off the next day and this is what I found. Honda CM is on it's way but my question. What the Hell Caused this to happen?!

Have to go look, isn't the black a switched 12V If so the reg would be ON all the time

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      Have to go look, isn't the black a switched 12V If so the reg would be ON all the time
      black is ground wire on GS regulator.

Comment

My guess would be that the regulator caused the smoking wires, and that it was just its time to go.it wasn't a brand new OEM was it? if it was the same one thats been on there a while your earlier dead battery problems may just have overstressed it. I have a "ricks" regulator on mine, and it works great, but as soon as I have a few bucks Im gonna pick up a spare, as I know when it does die they'll be on intergalactic backorder.

Comment

From inspection it looks to be the original so I'm not really bent out of shape for working the last 22yrs.

I just got a Honda CM450 off ebay thanks to BWringer recommendation. I could have bought a new one but it seems that more people have success with them then not. I got a fuse insert today so with the replacement I can put a fuse between the Red and (+) battery terminal. Maybe this one will eliminate the little dimming when the turn signals are on.

Comment

Read this post for the correct hookup

Comment

I didn't see anything about adding a fuse between the (+) and the battery terminal? I'm going to so in the case that it shorts and starts boiling the battery. At least I think that's what I read. Oh well BWringer has a past post on how to hook up these exact models up and add a fuse. Kinda excited to have beefer R/R on the way.

Comment

HOLY CRAP 8O The Suzuki RR may as well have been made out of plastic compared to this CM450 replacement I just installed tonight. The Heat sinks are HUGE! Ran her around for 20 minutes and no issues that I could identify. Thing barely runs warm compared to that OEM piece :twisted: Thanks again to BWringer and everyone for helping me with this one.

Comment

Yep...them Honda ones are big...glad it worked out for you. Remember
                  there only as good as there connections

Comment

Working...
                  X