Removing old gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing old gaskets

Has anyone found an easy way to remove those old baked on cylinder block and other gaskets without scraping and scraping. Thanks.

I've found that a couple of cans of Bud Light, when properly applied, can help get those gaskets off of there.

(By properly applied, I mean... well, you get it!)

I spent most of my last saturday scraping the clutch cover and the crank case cover, so I understand your pain.

Comment

Most of the tool dealers (Snap On, Mac) carry Scotchbrite pads that you mount on a 90 deg air sander, they work great. Mike J

Comment

You can get a spray on gasket remover, it helps Be carefull not to gouge the covers

Comment

The spray-on gasket remover works well, and the judicious use of a safety razor blade completes the combo. Lay it almost flat instead of a steep angle and you'll be surprised at how much it'll shave off.

Comment

Brake cleaner degreaser works. Watch your eyes when you use it. I used a dremel tool with a polishing disk, a grey one, to clean off the gaskets. The aluminum is harder than the gasket.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I use a chisel-point exacto-knife blade - the one with a square front edge. It works like the razor blade but easier to control IMHO. You still have to be very careful not to gouge, but if you get the right angle it works pretty well. A solvent will help too, but there's nothing like patience...

Comment

Heat is your friend when removing gaskets. Get a heat gun. Don't use a torch when you don't have to.

Comment

Carb cleaner helps dissolve old gaskets.

Comment

Working...
                  X