Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Newbie with 4stroke bike, Help save my bike from me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Newbie with 4stroke bike, Help save my bike from me.

I have no idea how to take care of my bike.

Today I knew, excess oil in engine cause blows seal etc isk isk. and i think i am almost about to have that issue,

I think if i keep on reading the forum without asking this, then I might just kill my bike before I learn to take care of the bike.

GS450L 1988 year model.

I only used 2 stroke engine, very easy to care, just change engine oil eery 6 month and add 2stroke oil each time add fuel ...........

Please tell me what I should & should not do to care this bike. Or if there is any link to any good manual to take care of 4T bike is also good. Anyone have their manual that come with the bike?

Thank you in advance,

P.S I am really dumb in this topic

Caring for a 4 stroke engine isnt very difficult, to check your oil level you want to put the bike on its center stand and look at the sight glass on the crankcase, it should be at the full mark ( "F") to change your engine oil and filter you will just open the drain plug on the bottom of the engine, drain your oil and put the plug back in, youll need to change the oil filter, its located on the front of the engine at the bottom, right behind the exhaust pipes. just unbolt the round cover and change out the filter, and then refill with fresh oil to the full mark in the sight glass, start it up let it run, turn it off and recheck the level after a few minutes. 4 stroke engine have valves, and they will need to be adjusted, Im pretty sure other members will know how many miles between valve adjustments, I cant remember at the moment. and the best part,, no more mixing oil and gas!

I have a Clymer brand manual for my bike I bought it from Amazon.com

i hope this helps a little bit,, after your first oil change you will be a pro, its that easy.

Comment

Get a manual. Clymer would be good since they have an entire chapter at the front that covers routine maintenance.

Search the forum. There are several threads that answer the question - "I just got a used bike, what maintenance should I do before I ride much?"

Find a good independent shop and/or mechanic who knows older bikes. They can be good sources of advice and can do the jobs that require special tools or techniques.

Good luck

Comment

Clymer dont have manual for my year.
        GS450L 1988 - it only have it upto 1987 year model.

Comment

How positive are you that your bike is an 88 model? I've looked under Clymer and Haynes manual listings and see only through 87, like you said. It's odd to me that yours wouldn't be covered.

Comment

Hmmmm.. on a whim, I did a search on 88 450's on www.alpha-sports.com to see if it's listed there for parts... they actually show a service manual for the 88 GS450L. I suspect it's an actual Suzuki manual... almost $50.00

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
              How positive are you that your bike is an 88 model? I've looked under Clymer and Haynes manual listings and see only through 87, like you said. It's odd to me that yours wouldn't be covered.
              1st because The Serial end with J - GS450LJ
              2nd in the title it says 1988 model.

I tried www.alpha-sports.com - but the site is down. will confirm later.

Comment

Working...
              X