do I need to replace my reg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do I need to replace my reg?

Hey I'm having some trouble with the main fuse blowing on my bike. It'll run for about 2-7 miles before blowing, and it shows it's charging about 12.5V at idle, and about 13.8V at 5k rpm. when the fuse finally does blow, the regulator is extremely hot, around 200-235F. I was wondering if this is the regulator's fault, cause it sure sounds like it. if I run it with the regulator unplugged it'll run fine (without charging of course) and when I plug it back in it'll blow the fuse.

Can I replace my reg unit with a honda one? and what years/models would be the best to buy from? I've searched around, but mostly you guys are replacing your early 80's bikes with honda units, I dunno if my '85 is any different....

Autumn sun is diminishing, please help, thanks!

I found this on Ebay, I know it's for a real new bike, but would it work? it's got the 3 yellow wires and the red green and black wires....

Comment

Well you've got two symptoms there, most likely related, but you need to look at the whole charging system to be sure. As in the human body, treating and suppressing symptoms is playing with fire, a more holistic approach is needed. Check out The Stator Papers on the main site.

Comment

Almost any reg designed for a three phase systen will work
        78-80 Honda series reg/rect usually go for $15-$20 on ebay

Comment

alright I went through the stator papers and found about 15V at 2500rpm, and about 17V at 5000+ rpms. I went through and tested the reg/rec ground and power wires, the ground was bad, so I put a direct ground of 12 gage wire to the battery. it helped, and I went on to find that according to the stator papers my + lead is bad. I check the resistance, and with the keey off, there's hardly any resistance, however with the key on theres around 50 ohms, is that normal? I was going to try plugging the regulator directly into the battery, I know it's supposed to be turned on and off with the ignition, but I thought for diagnosis purposes I should try it out.

so does it sound like a reg/rec problem with these symptoms?

Comment

If you are getting 17 V The reg is toast

Comment

If you are getting 17 V The reg is toast
              no matter the condition of the positive lead? I was kinda guessing that myself.

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on with your positive lead, but it's not uncommon for bad grounding to cause problems and toast your regulator. It's a good idea to clean up all the connections there in addition to the ground. Look inside the barrel connections with a flashlight, it seems the inside often gets corroded while the bullet that goes in (and is most visible) looks fine. SNEAKY! Some people just clip the connectors and solder the wires. Another person said those style connectors are available at Home Repo, and I'm guessing auto parts stores. Sounds like your stator is still putting out, so you're probably lucky. Good idea to check it out to be sure though.

Comment

well I know for sure that the reg was not properally grounded for a good 20+ miles because of my own stupidity. (don't ask) would this amount of riding fry the reg because of the bad ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
                    I'm not sure what's going on with your positive lead, but it's not uncommon for bad grounding to cause problems and toast your regulator. It's a good idea to clean up all the connections there in addition to the ground. Look inside the barrel connections with a flashlight, it seems the inside often gets corroded while the bullet that goes in (and is most visible) looks fine. SNEAKY! Some people just clip the connectors and solder the wires. Another person said those style connectors are available at Home Repo, and I'm guessing auto parts stores. Sounds like your stator is still putting out, so you're probably lucky. Good idea to check it out to be sure though.
                    Yes maintain all connections no mater what you do

Comment

I really don't know for sure, and it would depend on a few things like the age and condition of the unit, how bad the ground was, how high and for how long the engine was operating, etc. I'd tend to think under good circumstances you could luck out, under bad ones you could lose out. Someone with more experience on the subject might know differently.

Comment

Working...
                      X