X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plugs;BR8ES or RN14YC

'82 GS850
    I had a guy work on this bike just after I got it and he
    put in chamion RN14YC instead of the stock NGK BR8ES.
    These Champions have an extended and exposed tip.
    They do not hit the piston so I wonder if anyone thinks they
    are better ?

i think it is a differnt heat range plug, how does it go, short plug cold are hot? and vise versa?

Comment

No sense in getting a resistor plug unless you have a radio on the 850. I've used nothing but NGK B8ES plugs, the standard plugs, for 16 years on my 850's and now the 1100GK.

I recommend the stock plug. It's the one recommended by Suzuki, and it works.

Nick

Comment

Not to belittle Champion plugs but they work good in Dodge trucks and lawnmowers. That's the only 2 engines that I've seen like Champions. Everything else that has a foreign motor deserves NGKs.
        Just my $.02 that I picked up off the floor yesterday. Bob

Comment

I had a 77 RM125 that would foul out NGK plugs, but the Champions would be fine. When I got my GS1000, I found out that the reverse was true, and most of the other riders that I have talked to agree. NGK and ND are the best general purpose plug to use. I have had excellent results with Bosch Platinum too: they are even less resistant to fouling and the cost very comparable to standard NGKs.

Comment

Yes , It is a fouling problem that got me to this point.
            I may try the Bosch Platinum .
            Thanks

Comment

The plugs are a stopgap measure. You need to find the source of the fouling: it will eventually carbon up your combustion chamber to the point that the motor will require a top end rebuild.

Comment

I agree with Don. I owned two successive 1982 GS850G's from 1986 thru 96. Not once did I foul a B8ES in 120,000 miles.

Nick

Comment

My bike runs rich (a problem yet to be resolved) and was fouling plugs.The bloke who MOTed the bike recomended using BP8ES (or maybe BP7ES), it was suffering from fouled plugs at the time. He said that B8ES are only used on lawnmowers these days!
                  I tried BP*ES and plug fouling has improved. The electrode on BP*ES sticks out more than the B*ES (check it won't hit your pistons, my bike is ok). I do intend to lean it up at some point in time , along with fitting the new kitchen, decorating the hall.......

Colin
                  1979 GS1000E

Comment

He said that B8ES are only used on lawnmowers these days!

Well, my GS1100GK lawnmower runs just fine on B8ES's. I change them once a year, which is about 13,000 miles, whether it needs it or not.

Maybe if I start riding the GK around the yard, I'll kill the grass (if not myself first) and won't have to mow any more. If successful, I'll owe it all to the B8ES plugs!

Nick

Comment

I just checked a plug box I have and it is marked DR8ES-L. I had not noticed the L before. Any ideas on the significance of this?

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by patrikobrien
                        I just checked a plug box I have and it is marked DR8ES-L. I had not noticed the L before. Any ideas on the significance of this?

Patrick
                        Ithink its the thread lengtl of 11.2 mm but here is the chart

Comment

Scotty

Thanks for the link. I should have checked the Internet before posting. I will check the length of NGK against the ND plugs I have.

Patrick

Comment

I'm with Nick here. My NKG's get changed once a year and I have not had any problems with them fouling out. Heck sometimes if I leave the choke on too long while warming up the bike they get a little fouled up but after about 5 miles of good riding they have cleaned themselves right back up. If your bike was running rich he should have put 7's in there instead like the book says. Well my book does anyway. 7's if too rich and 9's if too lean.

Comment

Sorry Colinnn , I have been out of town all week.
                              Good luck with the fouling problem. Mine was a pain in the..
                              I still don,t understand it but I think I have it under control.
                              I searched this web site and asked for help. Most guys told me
                              the air screw would make the bike leaner if turned out.
                              THIS IS NOT TRUE ON MY BIKE. This I found out while going through the
                              carbs myself. If you spray cleaner through the air jet , it comes out
                              through the pilot jet and air screw. That means it is using air to propel
                              fuel for the idle circuit. This effects up to 1/4 throttle.
                              I ended up lowering my float level 1mm past spec and turning
                              the air screw in. This got the bike so I could ride it. I will work more on it
                              next spring.
                              Two things I don't know are :
                              my compression is 115 - 140; will that make plugs foul ?
                              what is the stock main jet for '82 gs850?

I don't know if the bike is worth a rebuild. I allready have $550 in
                              the carbs from two " professionals" . One is telling me $1300 for
                              valves and pistons.
                              I ended up having to fix the carbs myself.
                              I was told this bike only has 18000mi on it.
                              bart

Comment

Working...
                              X