head sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head sequence

I'm pulling the head off my katana to get the valves done, can somebody please scan and copy the page out of the manual that shows the sequence to undo the head bolts for me? i don't want to just undo them without knowing the right order..thanks heaps in advance.Mark...

Re: head sequence

Originally posted by mark44
    I'm pulling the head off my katana to get the valves done, can somebody please scan and copy the page out of the manual that shows the sequence to undo the head bolts for me? i don't want to just undo them without knowing the right order..thanks heaps in advance.Mark...
    I'm not aware of a loosening sequence when removing a head, but generally when tightening a head you work from the inner nuts/bolts to the outer in a crisscross pattern, so loosening in a reverse sequence wouldn't hurt. BTW, we need to know yr/model of bike. I would also strongley suggest that you acquire a manual before doing too much to your bike.

Comment

the model is 1982 gsx750s, as for loosening i was always led to believe, it is just as important to undo in sequence, as it is to do up in sequence.

Comment

The Haynes manual specifies the reverse of the tightening sequence. You would simply loosen the leftmost outer pair, then the rightmost outer pair and work in.

Comment

loosening sequence

i'm not sure, but all suzi's i've come into contact with have each bolt numbered somewhere near it. say there's 12 bolts, then loosen:

and tighten

a little at a time going through... but you knew that
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

flyingace you said the haynes manual said to do them from the left outside working in, do you have the manual???if so can you PLEASE scan it for me, i really need to get this off so i can get it running again.thanks mate. Mark

Comment

Check the head casting to see if the bolts are numbered. If not it's best to start at the center and loosen a little at a time going diagonally across the head loosening.

Comment

Okay, the first line wil be intake from left to right and the second line exhaust left to right. This is for twelve bolt heads.

Comment

It doesn't matter when removing the head, just don't drop any nut or washer down the cam chain tunnel. When installing the head just follow the numbers casted inside the head. All you're doing in ensuring a good gasket seal by working the gasket out from the center to the ends.

It's not that your going to warp the head if you don't.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                  X