Electrical Problem '81 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Problem '81 GS850

Seem's I have a hit & miss problem with either the starter relay or wiring.
    What should be the voltage @ the starter relay & the coils. I'm getting way less than 12 V.

check that the ground strap to the solenoid is there and in good shape. I had redone alot of grounds and remounted the battery box on all the rubber, had to run another ground before I could get the bike to turn over. doh!
    any solenoid will work, if its in question go get an affordable one at NAPA. just make sure you have somewhere to mount it as its gonna be a little bigger.
    Battery voltage is ideally what you want at any of the spots you are checking, but 11.5 is good. 10 volts not so good. check all connections , clean them or replace as necessary

Comment

Definitely check all the above, especially the grounding.

You may also have a dirty starter button contact.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you are losing voltage Check the Orange wire on the fuse block, it should be the same as the battery voltage within 1/10 volt. If you have
        more than a one volt difference CHECK the ign switch

Comment

Ground was the problem turns over great but no spark to plugs. Does anyone know the test method for the ignitor box ahve already check the resistance and is within spec.

Comment

Working...
          X