80 GS1000E Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1000E Electrical Issues

Nice forum for good bikes. I have electrical issues for my bike, maybe can get some good answers. The 80 GS1000E is my commuter with 60K. It charges only to 12.2V between 1500-2500 rpm, with the battery starting at 11.9V. Above 2,500 rpm, no charge. The battery will go to 13.5V on a overnight charge. Is this just a ground issue or time to get a regulator/rectifier? Is Electrex really the best? Has anyone done a cross- brand regulator swap reliably?-1-2yrs riding without problem. I have some Kaw 3 phase Regulator/rectifiers I could try but don't want to damage a good stator. Thanks for the help.

Typical Suzi

I had problems with my 80 1100 ET. Replaced the stock regufrier with one from a ZX6(not sure what year) and have had no problems since. If I remember correctly the wiring was pretty straight forward with the exception of one extra wire that is wired into just about any circuit that is hot when the key is turned on (eg. power to brake light switch). Sorry I can't be exact but the shop is a disaster as I'm converting my back garage into a proper spray booth and thus have no idea where my shop manuals are. Come to think of it I haven't seen the cat for a while either.

Comment

I have had a Honda reg on mine 15K miles works great. JUst check the stator before you put it on

Comment

GS1000E Charging system issues

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'll try it Saturday and post the results. The Kaw regulator/rectifier is pretty straight forward, three stator wires(yellow), ground(black), power ouput(white/red), and voltage sensing(brown). I have a 81 GS1100EX that also has electrical problems but of the more malicous type. It melts wires! More to come on that bike. Thanks again.

Comment

reg rec

the fave swap was always for a hond superdream/cx/ing reg rec, probably cos they were cheap and plentyful, and they work great and dont seem to break.

Comment

reg rec

and while you are at it, check your generator windings too, a duff reg rec can take the generator with it, and vise-versa, running the correct oil level in the motor can help to stop the generator getting too hot and cooking itself, the electrical system is pretty marginal o the gs/gsx range anyhow, so big headlight bulbs and lots of accessories wont help things at all.

Comment

Nice choice of bike 8)

Comment

Working...
              X