Fuel Petcock hows it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Petcock hows it work?

I have a 1980 GS1100E. Always has ran good. But I let it sit for a couple months and now it will not start. It cranks over fine and after taking a plug out after an extensive trying to start session, the plug is not even wet with gas. It has spark but I do not think it is getting gas.
    So I started with the Petcock on tank. How does that work? I noticed if I take a small screwdriver in the petcock I can turn it and flow gas thru the line that comes from intake manifold. But I'm guessing at this point. Help and advise please. Thanks.

Turn the slot on the petcock to PRI. Fuel should flow to the carbs, just like with the pre vacuum petcocks, in the ON position. These petcocks can be a pain, some have said the fuel won't flow, without vacuum, even in the PRI position. To be sure, take the biggest line ( the fuel line ) off the petcock, while in the ON position. Turn the slot on the petcock till fuel flows freely. Note this exact location & quickly turn back to ON. Reinstall the fuel line & turn the slot to where it was when the fuel was flowing with the fuel line off. Don't be smoking while doing this. May even be simpler to just give it a shot of starting fluid.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

more info

I took the tank off before reading your reply. I did that, as you suggested with the tank on the workbench. It did flow feely in the pri. position. Is this pri position what a guy should put it in for a few seconds after the bike has sit for an extended period? I'm going to put tank back on and flood the cars then put back to normal position before attemptiong to start. Sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks.

Comment

That's the trick. If the engine isn't running you have no vacuum to open the petcock. Prime for about 15 to 30 seconds and then go the on position.

Comment

Working...
        X