Poor GS stators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor GS stators?

I just purchased an '82 GS1100E, and two different, well seasoned bike tech's informed me of what an awesome bike the GS1100's are, whith the one gripe...they inherantly have weak stators?? I was told the GS stators' insulation breaks down and melts from the hot oil causing them to fail? A tech who went through 2 startors, told me about a company called Electrics" based out of England, that builds quality performance stators for older bikes. Anyone else have any issues, man I don't want a stator crapping out 100 mi away from home on a road trip!
    Rich

I don't think it's the stator that's weak - I've had mine for 37K miles. It's the R/R units that are weak and tend to fry the stators when they go.

Hopefully the electical gurus can elaborate.

Comment

Welcome to the GSR! Do a search. Plenty of electric info. Basically keep your connections clean, change your oil regularly, go to church on Sunday and say an extra prayer for your electical system.

But above all keep everone of your connections cleaned on the entire harness, paying particular attention to ground connections and the fuse box. The stator is not weak, but the R/R can easily overheat if it encounters high resistance from corroded contacts and the stator usually goes with it.

The company you're inquiring about was called Electrex. It is now named Electrosport. Some members have had problems with their products since new ownership.

Comment

poor gs stators

there is still an electrex company in england.www.electrex.co.uk. ihave bought two stators and two regulators for a 650 glz 1982,and a1984gsk 1100. good service and good prices.

Comment

Do what they said also run a ground wire direct from the (-) battery terminal to the mounting bolt of the reg. Use 8-10 gauge wire. The problem was most of the reg were mounted to the battery box & grounded thru one of the mounting bolts. Poor grounds would cause the reg to overheat & fry itself. suzuki should have used a better gauge wire to make the reg too. Make sure to maintain your oil level, the oil cools the stator. The 78-80 vintage Honda reg work great if you need one.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I will pay special attention to the ground connections. I had a good conversation with one of my tech buddies. He mentioned re-locating the R/R to a location that is farther away from the battery overflow vent? He said he has found that acid corrosion destroys ground connections in that area. I took the bike for a run yesterday, and I noticed the "Taillamp" indicator light goes on and off while driving. The taillamp is working properly. What does this mean? (I don't have an owners manual yet). Thanks,
            Rich

Comment

If you are talking about the brake light Check the brake switch on the bottom of the front master cyl Other wise check the bulbs and the ground wires Usually black wire / white tracer

Comment

Save yourself some money on the R/R & go get a (Shindengen SH232-12) R/R off a 78-80 CX500 or similar Honda. I got mine for $10 plus shipping on eBay. Very simple wire mod to install. Instructions are here on the GSR. So far my Elektrex stator seems to be OK but I don't recommend their R/R. focus frenzy (Leon) & I both bought one back in April/May and both have since failed . Your bike will also start easier also if the voltage regulator is supplying the correct voltage to the coil(s).

Comment

Working...
                X