No announcement yet.

The GS is no more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great example that you should never leave home without your gear on, glad you're OK. $hit can happen in an instant and at any time. The only thing we have going for us is paying attention, knowing how to ride and dressing for the occasion because paying attention and knowing how to ride doesn't always work.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Wow. Really sorry about your wreck but overjoyed that you came through with so little damage. Let me add my congratualtions for your good sense to wear your gear. It's those spur of the moment rides where you are most likely to just wear whatever you have on. I'm not sure I would have been that wise when I was your age.

If it is only the forks, wheel and triple-tree that are damaged, finding parts and fixing it should be very doable. If the steering head/frame is cracked or bent, maybe not. It is hard to tell from the pictures. Of course the fluids on the ground are a concern, but sometimes that can happen just from the bike being on its side for a time.

I may know of a front end available here in Jax. I was going to switch my GK front end to a standard G one while having my GK crash of last year repaired, but then I found the parts to stick with stock. That front end I almost used is probably still at the shop where I had the work done. Let me know if you go the repair route and think you can use it.

If you decide to part it out, let me know that too. Maybe we can make a deal for the whole thing and I can drive my truck down. I am curious what the insurance company is going to offer you for your bike. I hope they don't try to limit it to blue book.

Also, don't sign any insurance releases for a while. Sometimes it takes a while for an injury, particularly a skeletal injury to become noticeable. Ask me how I know. Get everything checked out well by a doctor you trust.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Sucks man...I know you spent alot of time on that bike.
        Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Thanks everyone. There would be a lot of work involved to repair the bike, so i dont think i will be doing it. I havent gotten a check or even an amount from the insurance company, hopefully i dont get screwed. I was getting tired of the never ending problems anyway, i couldnt really ride the bike without the fear of being stuck somewhere, i guess i dona have to worry about that anymore. I will keep you posted as to what i get out of it, hopefully a decent amount. Thanks again for all the support, you guys are great! =D>

Comment

Take a little time off then get back out there
            :P That short wheelbase could be fun

Comment

Well i talked to the insurance company and like i figured, the bike is totaled. I have a good tank, carbs, engine, regulator, stator, rear rim and brand new tire, cafe bars, gauges and many other parts. I have to decide if i want to keep the bike and part it out or just give it up. Any intrest in the above parts?

Comment

best wishes

Glad to see you are OK.Out here in sunny South Africa we never leave home without the helmet(that is wearing the helmet ).Metal and plastic can always be replaced,but us mortals cant.
                Kind regards
                John W

Comment

You could probably net around 600 - 700 dollars if you sold it all on eBay and the forum sites. Depends on whether you have a place, time and energy to part it out.
                  This being winter time up north parts are either being bought feor winter projects or else the spring will be a better market.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

glad yer ok!

ya know with that puddle of oil underneath it, it looks just like a harley. just put it on ebay with the title "sportster GS" and set the opening bid to $11,500

Comment

Originally posted by downneck
                      glad yer ok!

ya know with that puddle of oil underneath it, it looks just like a harley. just put it on ebay with the title "sportster GS" and set the opening bid to $11,500
                      Well guys, the GS is gone. You will never believe it, but the insurance company gave me $2494.99 for the bike. I am gonna send my wife through the MSF course, buy her a new jacket and lid, and buy me a new lid. I am getting an 88 Kaw Ninja 750 next week. A buddy of mine had someone give it to him, after it had been sitting for 10 years. My buddy cleaned the carbs up and got it running again, and he is gonna give it to me for $500. I have a couple of parts from the GS. Ive got the 140 mph gauges, 2 good side covers, and a tail-light. If you guys are interested please pm me and let me know.

Thanks, Brian

Comment

Congratulations. You got a good deal. You wouldn't happen to know what junk yard it's going to, would you? I could use a gas tank.

How did you fare physically? Have you got anything that still hurts. Did you have to sign an injury release to get the bike settlement?
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

They are probably hoping you don't talk to a lawyer so they gave you 'bout double blue book. Good show!
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                            Congratulations. You got a good deal. You wouldn't happen to know what junk yard it's going to, would you? I could use a gas tank.

How did you fare physically? Have you got anything that still hurts. Did you have to sign an injury release to get the bike settlement?
                            I have no idea what junkyard it went to. The guy who came to pick it up on the tow truck knocked it over in the driveway and it spilled oil all over my driveway, and im guessing the tank was damaged anyway. There is a small chance i can find out, but i doubt it. I am in central fl, if you are willing to drive this far, i will try and find out for you. let me know!

Comment

Working...
                            X