Getting those EPA air screw plugs removed "$#@$#%^!!!&

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting those EPA air screw plugs removed "$#@$#%^!!!&

Well I did FINALLY get them out. I am doing a complete carb cleaning, and installing a Dynojet kit at the same time. What a damn battle getting out this aluminum plugs that seal access to the air screws!!!! Most plugs I have seen are a thin sheetmetal plug that you drill a small hole, thread in a s/m screw and wiggle out. Not so with the GS carbs. its a thick aluminum soft plug. The major frustration is that the plug was extremly close to the top of the air screw head. Drilling out the plug guaranteed you would gouge up the top of the air screw. After destroying 2 screws, I thought of a better way. I drilled down about 1/2 way with a reg pointed drill, then ground the drill "flat", and finished drilling the plug. The drill would completely remove the plug just enough to not come in contact with the head of the air screw. Hope this saves others some frustrations. If anyone has had sucess "pulling" the plugs out, I would love to know how you did it! Thanks,
    Rich

Drill a small pilot hole into the plug, then thread a sheet metal screw firmly into the pilot hole, then use pliers to pull straight up.

The funny thing is that rebuild kits come with new plugs! Who would re-install them??
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Drill a small pilot hole into the plug, then thread a sheet metal screw firmly into the pilot hole, then use pliers to pull straight up.

The funny thing is that rebuild kits come with new plugs! Who would re-install them??
      I tried that, those plugs are very soft aluminum, and the s/m screw just strips out. The plugs are pressed in pretty firm.

Comment

I was able to remove 3/4 of mine with the bit itself. Drilled slowly in with a B&D rechargeable drill (not so quick as better drills) and before I drilled all the way through they caught on the bit and pulled right out. The other cap caught but didn't pull out. The hole was large enough for me to get a small screwdriver into and I unscrewed the jet until the cap was sticking out enough to get the plug out with needle-nose pliers.

I guess I was just lucky.

Comment

epa plugs removal

yea I guess your way will eventually get them out but theres a faster and easier way. Just drill a small hole into the plug then screw a sheet metal screw into it snuggly , then put a set of vice gripps on it and lightly "smack" the pliers with a small hammer and whala out they pop. to free up the screws (they are lock tighted in place) just lightly heat it aluminum with a propane torch and melt some candle wax into the air screw. the wax will "wick" into the threads and out they screw slick as a whistle. have fun.

Comment

Working...
          X