Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pouring out of Left side of Carb

Hello,

I have a 1980 GS450l. I cleaned the carbs when I first got the bike and it was running perfect. Well, the other day I started the bike up and fuel started pouring out of the tube coming from the left carb.

I took the carbs apart again to check to make sure nothing was stuck. Everythingn looks perfect. Both floats are at the correct level. The needles are fine. I don't know what it could be.

The only thing I can think of is a faulty petcock. The petcock looks a little worn. But if it is the petcock, why would fuel only pour out of the left carb. Also when the bike is put on its kick stand fuel pours out of the same side. However, only after the bike has been running. I am lost, please help.

Also, forgot to mention that if I drain the bowls, prime them, then turn the petcock to on, nothing happens. It will run fine. It's when I turn the bike off then turn it back on that it will pour like a waterfall.

Comment

Your problem is with the float valve!!!! Did you replace the O ring . Even if the petcock is bad the bike should NOT flood when it is running

Comment

I have checked the float valve twice, all of my gaskets are fine. Nothing is sticking. Could it be the petcock? If not, is there something else I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated. Or, if somebody has had a similar problems if they could give me some advice.

Comment

it's either the valve is stuck open or the float itself. On Nerobro's bike there were little metal tabs to restrict the travel on the floats... unknown to us the float for Cyl #4 and #3 would get stuck and flood the thing.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Everybody was right. It WAS the needle gettitng stuck. I took it apart one more time, cleaned it AGAIN and Sure enough, it solved all my problems. Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X