Gearing on 81 GS850 (Shaft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearing on 81 GS850 (Shaft)

On the highway my revs are around 4000 rpm when going 60mph (or so). What could I do to bring the revs down? Could I change the gearing somehow?

I know there's a rear gearcase swap you can do, but the donor model is pretty rare (1100GK maybe?) -- someone should be along soon with specifics.

Just rev it and don't worry about it. An 850 will cruise at 85mph and 6,000+ rpm all day and all night with no problems.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I used to think the same thing, but at 70mph doing 5000 rpm, the bike is perfectly smooth and has lots of power on tap. It only sounds like it's working hard.

Comment

The ONLY way would be to change the rear differential THE common gear ratio is a 3.09 if I remember Some of the 83-84 1100GKs had a 2.9 gear ratio. The 1000/1100 were regeared in the secondary- beveled drive gears. They are not interchangable. IF you could fine one I don't think you would be happy with the results The 850 needs to have some RPM's to get it's power. What Suzuki should have done was to give it an overdrive 6th gear

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          What Suzuki should have done was to give it an overdrive 6th gear
          Amen, Amen, Amen.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            What Suzuki should have done was to give it an overdrive 6th gear
            I'm gonna have to third this one. I've considered the same in the past with my 850. I can buzz around town like a banshee but short-long trips feel like the engine is working to hard at cruising speed.

Comment

I remember riding a GS 1000 that seemed to rev (highway speed) at a much more comfortable RPM. This is my second GS 850G. The first was a 79... rode it from coast to coast... never any problem, except for the high revs and the reletive high gas consumption. As it is I guess I'll just leave things as they are and drive at a comfortable speed. (A sixth gear would be great though!)

Comment

Working...
              X