Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch will not disengage when engine gets very hot - HELP

Hi All,

I've been riding to work often. After a 50 mile ride I hit traffic that is crawling. At first the clutch works just fine. After 20 minutes in stop-and-go traffic, my bike will still go forward in first gear even though I have the lever fully pulled. And I can't get it out of first gear (stopping becomes a dangerous affair!). The amount of free-play at the lever increases as the engine gets hotter. If I shut down the bike and let it cool for a few minutes then all is well again. This happened today and yesterday. The free-play at the lever is within spec when I start the ride and the cable moves freely.
    Do I need a new clutch basket/plates?
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    I searched the forum and couldn't find a similar post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What condition is your cable in? Is it fraying at either end? Is it the original cable?

Brad tt

Comment

It is the original cable, it's not frayed anywhere and moves freely even when experiencing the problem mentioned.

Comment

I have an 82GS1100glz. I do notice that the free play increases as the engine/transmission gets hotter. But not to the extent of difficult shifting. But i am never in 20 min. of stop and go. My guess is that it was normal as things heated up and expanded. Maybe new clutch fiber discs and steel plates are in order. I don't think the clutch basket could cause this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nert
          I have an 82GS1100glz. I do notice that the free play increases as the engine/transmission gets hotter. But not to the extent of difficult shifting. But i am never in 20 min. of stop and go. My guess is that it was normal as things heated up and expanded. Maybe new clutch fiber discs and steel plates are in order. I don't think the clutch basket could cause this problem.
          a small amount of expansion, and a slight increase in lever free play is normal.
          but for the expansion to be to the point that it interferes with normal clutch action or requires adjustment when warmed up is not normal for a stock clutch.

there could be broken strands in the clutch cable, this would exaggerate the expansion/stretch of the cable (it does happen) or the plates could be deforming as they heat up.
          some aftermarket clutch plates are well known for causing rid ability problems, especially performance clutch plates that are perfectly good for drag racing applications but are totally unsuitable for stop and go use.

Comment

Working...
          X