Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

faint noise when coasting in 1st (82 550L)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faint noise when coasting in 1st (82 550L)

I noticed a faint whirr/grinding sound coming from below
    when I coast the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in. You can
    barely hear it. Doesn't do it in any other gear or in neutral.

I don't know if this is a problem. All the gears shift fine. This
    is my first bike so I am paranoid about every little thing.

Anything I should worry about?

Re: faint noise when coasting in 1st (82 550L)

Mine does the same thing. I don't think it's anything to worry about. My parent's truck (5 speed manual) does the same thing when shifting into first and coasting.

Brad tt

Comment

Guys, this may be a whirring sound coming from either your speedometer where the cable attaches, or the speedo drive unit located on the front wheel. I had the same noise, then it got louder and I noticed speed readings were off sometimes, the needle would bop around, and I could hear the cable winding down when I came to a quick stop. I took off the speedometer, turned it upsidedown and put a few drops of oil in it. Then I took the speedo cable apart and cleaned and lubed it with oil and sprayed oil up into the drive unit on the front wheel. I put everything back together, tested it out and the noise was eliminated along with the abnormal speed readings. This happens a lot to our GS motorcycles as they age and there is a lot of info on the subject if you search the forum for "speedo noise" or "speedometer." Good luck, there's my two cents.

Comment

This noise is only when shifting down into first. My speedo is okay.

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
        X