1977 GS750 Front Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Front Brakes

I noticed in the Gallery that some 1977 GS750's have dual front brakes. Mine only has one. Was this an option or is it a modification?

Terry

Dual disc didn't become available until 1978 on the 750E model and as far as I know there was no brake option from Suzuki. However I'm sure this was a popular modification on the '77 once the '78 parts became available.
    Axel

Comment

Do you have any idea what it would take to make the modification on my bike? Nothing like stopping when you need to.

Terry

Comment

You would need to change alot. the lower fork leg to one that will mount brake calaper, new brake hoses, new brake cylinder with more capicity maybe a new front wheel

Comment

I was going to do that modification to my 79 single front disk 750E, so I bought another parts bike. I found that the fork tube spacing is wider on the dual front disk model than it is on the singe disk model. So you will need to change both triple trees and both fork tubes. The single disk rotor is thicker than the dual disk rotors, so you will need both rotors, You will need both calipers from the dual disk setup as the spacing is different for the single disk. You will have to change the axle too as it needs to be longer for a dual setup. The single disk wheel hub is the same thickness as the dueal disk wheel hub and has predrilled holes under the right cover that will match up with the additional rotor needed on the right side. Triple trees are interchangable on 77 through 79 models. Later models cannot be put on earlier models because the steering stem bearing races are different diameter. You will also need additional brake lines and it would probably be a good idea to change the master cylinder over the the model meant for dual disk setups.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Does your bike have the fork leg with brake mounts on it?

Some bikes came with a single disk on them, but the fork legs both had the brake mounts on them. If your bike has the brake mounts on both legs the bike may not need to be modified to add another disk and brake cylinder. If you dont have the mounts I would not wory about it unless you can change the front end.

Comment

My 77 GS750 HAS with dual discs..??. I do believe it to be factory. It does not look like the triple trees or any of the brake components have been tampered with. Am I to believe this is the front end of a 78 (or later..) or do I own the only factory twin disc 77 out there!!! (yeah right im not that lucky). Does anyone know the measurement between the fork tube centers?, or any other way I can verify the year of the front end?

Mark

~If national holidays were observed on Wednesdays, we would end up with nine-day weekends!~

1977 gs750
              31, XXX km
              slightly modified 8valve engine (kawa oil filler cap!!)
              4 into 1, pods, jetting......the usuals

Comment

Could have been a mid year change to dual disks

Comment

The Suzuki Identification Guide shows only a single disc model so I doubt there was a mid year change. Has far as upgrading your brakes, you could either buy a whole front end from a salvage yard or e-bay and swap the whole thing, should be an easy bolt on. If you go this route you may want to look into a front end from something from the early '80 since they have larger diameter tubes. Or, you could keep the single disc and upgrade your calipers, lines and master cylinder. If you stay with the single disc you'll also want to install a fork brace to get rid of the fork twist while braking.
                  Axel

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will go to all the trouble and expense to change it. I was hopeing it would be an easy thing to do, but it doesn't look like it. It is strange that some have dual brakes and some don't. :?

Terry

Comment

I just checked the 77 and 78 magazines I have that have articles on the GS750 and niether say anything about a second disc, they do say it has good brakes (boy have standards chainged!)

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                        I just checked the 77 and 78 magazines I have that have articles on the GS750 and niether say anything about a second disc, they do say it has good brakes (boy have standards chainged!)
                        Are you trying to tell me I don't have good brakes? Just don't stop too quickly in front of me this weekend.

Terry

Comment

Weeeeel now, even with a single front disk brake, you can outstop the car behind you. Might wanna check your "6" before ya honk too hard on them thar binders. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="TheNose"

Are you trying to tell me I don't have good brakes? Just don't stop too quickly in front of me this weekend.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I supose one disc is more than enough for the "little :roll: " bikes, in one of the vintage magazines I got last sunday, there is a picture of a rider doing a stopy (reverse wheely) on a GS 550, long before they became popular to do.

Comment

How bad are my brakes?

Your posts about brakes have made me more worried about the single disc on my 750.
                              My bike has new front pads. I've bled the system and changed the brake fluid but still the front brake seems very poor. Unfortunately, as my (very limited) experience is only of old bikes I don't really know what to expect from the brakes but I'm sure mine ought to be better. Basically, although I can't move the bike with the front brake applied (well that's something) that really is about it - I'd say 98% of the braking is supplied by the rear (drum). There's absolutely no way I could do a reverse wheelie.
                              What do I have to check/change to improve the braking at the front?

Comment

Working...
                              X