Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How bad are my brakes?

Originally posted by TEMS
    Your posts about brakes have made me more worried about the single disc on my 750.
    My bike has new front pads. I've bled the system and changed the brake fluid but still the front brake seems very poor. Unfortunately, as my (very limited) experience is only of old bikes I don't really know what to expect from the brakes but I'm sure mine ought to be better. Basically, although I can't move the bike with the front brake applied (well that's something) that really is about it - I'd say 98% of the braking is supplied by the rear (drum). There's absolutely no way I could do a reverse wheelie.
    What do I have to check/change to improve the braking at the front?
    According to my Clymer manual, the front brake should provide 75% of the braking. My front brake works fairly well, it's my rear that only slows me. I don't think the rear would stop me if I needed it to.

Terry

Comment

My gs750 1977 has dual disks...

Hi,
      My bike is a 1977 GS750 with dual discs. I must admit, it looks very original. It does not seem as if someone has modified the bike. But if the entire front section was changed 25 years ago, who knows?
      Kroisos...

Comment

you can start with the pads, not all pads are created equal, some make good anti-friction sliders while others are like super glue.
        what kind of pads do you have on it? I have gotten good results with SBS ceramic pads.
        does your brake lever come all the way back to the bars?
        If it does, you may need to bleed the brakes to remove air trapped in the system, or replace the brake line, they strech out over time and wont alow the system to build up propper presure, many people replace their lines with stainless steel, braded lines for superior streingh and resistance to flexing, giving better feel and control.

Comment

Try using EBC pads,big difference

Comment

The single disc on my bike is sufficient for "normal" riding, but when I'm beating the living "urine"(damn censor!), out of it to keep up to newer bikes, that's when I wish I had more braking power up front. :? The disc on the rear will lock the wheel. 8) Has anyone done the conversion? How much better is the stopping power? Is it a worth while modification, or is the difference negligible?
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

braded brake lines would be an improvement over he old rubber hoses and a good upgrade over 20+ year old hoses

Comment

Working...
              X