R/R Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Redux

My bike had been running so well for so long, that I was really enjoying it. I had replaced my r/r 2 years ago, and not for the first time. This time, one of my 3 wires melted the plastic housing, and one bank of diodes was not working. The bike ran, but deceptively so as it seemed to me the battery was to blame rather than the charging system. And besides, a new r/r every few years? Seems to me there has to be a better way.

I found the GSResources by accident, and boy am I glad I did. A wealth of information and some solace in my problems being thoroughly common. What I found was my bike has a great engine and a not so good electrical system. For cheap bikes, cutting costs anywhere possible will inevitably lead to problems down the road. Yamaha?s of the same vintage apparently used alternators { ie a stator and a field coil controlled by the r/r }whereas Suzuki?s used a generator { a stator and permanent magnets }. I know this because I got a Yamaha r/r while looking for a Honda, and it apparently cannot be made to work

Thanks to Duanage, I have obtained the correct r/r. It?s a Honda, not a Suzuki [ nor a Yamaha}. But he also modified it to make it work all the better and install that much easier! I thought I was going to get just the r/r but I got so much more. Included were additional bullet connectors to replace the old/faulty spade types, and a ready to attach pig-tail for the sensor wire attachment to the orange brake line. He even included two allen bolts for attaching the r/r - the originals were phillips-head and they stripped. Talk about being pleasantly surprised. If you have a r/r problem, after checking the ?stator papers? you may want to inquire if Duanage has a r/r for you. Trust me its very worth it.

At the same time I installed a Big Bike Parts volt meter. I got it from California Sport Touring http://www.casporttouring.com/ For $25.48 including shipping, it has a clock, stop watch/lap, digital volt meter, led charging status indicator lights, and a thermometer with in/out sensors. The clock was a nice perq because I had been using a watch that was tie-wrapped to the handle bars - don?t laugh, I?ve seen many a bike of this vintage with watches attached. Better still, when the bike is running the unit is back-lit, an improvement over the watch I had been using. The LEDs are a bit redundant considering the digital volt meter, but if the voltage drops below 11.5 volts it beeps loudly to let you know. The in/out thermometer is amusing on a bike, and I surmise from the instructions this item was originally designed for cars. Never the less, it comes with a freeze alert beep, if you want to have it tell you it?s cold out. Now I can keep an eye on the charging state of the bike.

Installing the new r/r was easy. Dismay followed as I was getting as much as 15.8 volts on the highway. Tinkering with the bike again disclosed my main harness { the one coming out of the fuse panel } was HOT! Bad connections effectively limits the same current to a smaller area, and that creates resistance that shows up as heat that should not be in wires or connectors. I took the harness halves apart and dunked each half in Tarnex. Then I inserted a small bladed screwdriver in order to squish down the female spade connectors. After I reconnected them and started the bike, no more heat!!!

The moral of the story is that IMHO Suzuki made poor design decisions in their electrical system. Not withstanding, bad connections and corroded wires can lead to increased resistance and heat that will either burn wires, components, r/r?s or all of the above!. This is a much bigger problem! Why this is so much more a problem on bikes rather than cars still avoids a satisfying explanation, but there it is. So the excessively high 15.8 volts has been reduced to 15.1 volts. And that?s with just one bad connector.

In summation: Check all connections for corrosion/ heat. Check status of battery. Read Stator Papers. If replacing the r/r use the Honda r/r and follow the instructions at http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...169&highlight=

PS

I was planning on using dielectric grease on the connectors, but have come across another beast known as Stabillant 22. It?s sold at NAPA stores part # ECHCE-1 for $62 for 10cc!!!!. the reputation of this stuff is incredible, as is the price. Just might be worth it though in order to prevent future problems. Or perhaps the dielectric grease will do?

One thing is for certain, in addition to checking the battery water level, tire pressure, and fork pressure regularly, it seems a part of routine maintenance is to see if there are any hot wires!

My Bike:

There ya go... Batteries don't last forever, and once they age they can tax the charging system unnecessarily. It's not worth risking expensive stators and RR's to save a few bucks in the battery dept., IMO.

Comment

Yeah. The R/R on the GS's sucks. ;-) nuff said.

Buy a better one. I am running the R/R from a honda CX500. it's quite litterally six times the size of the part it replaced. At worst it gets mildly warm. At best, it remains cool. I haven't had to put my bike on a charger for a year. ;-)

As for the suzuki electrical system in general being junk. It doesnt' seem any worse than the competition. honestly. I have an 84 XS400 SECA in the garage that has a decintigrating fuse block. And that seems to be a design feature of that generation of yamahas.

On the bright side. Electrical systems can be taken apart, rebuilt, done better, all at home. It's not like buying a bike with a frame (H1 or H2) or engine flaw. (Early honda v4 750s, AMF harleys, or the XS400) Electrical is an anoyance at worst. Hardware, is fatal.

And if you think of this post as kinda "pro suzuki" I can only think of one frightening suzuki bike. The first generation TL's were known to headshake if the rider was ham fisted. This lead to a few crashes.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thankfully somebody made better regulators than Nippon Denso for motorcycles back in the day.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Actually, I think most of the RR's are made by the same company. or two. Every r/r I've seen looks like they are the shidengen r/rs Just suzuki speced ones that were T I N Y. The CX500 is a smaller bike than mine... and the r/r from it is HUGE. The r/r on the yamaha in the garage is equally large. And suzuki DID eventually learn their lesson. The r/r on skreemer's bike is large.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I found part numbers on some Suzuki Regulators that lead me back to nippondenso. ND made most of the other components on the suzukis as well. ND is a decent enough company and big enough it is just that they build what they are asked to build.

And in this case, yes, suzuki messed up and dismissed out of hand the need for proper voltage regulation. But they built a bullet proof valve train and killer bottom end into these things and that is why so many Suzukis are with us today.

Comment

Here is Arie's regulator during burnin testing on my bike.

Comment

Working...
              X