Rust on the tank : /

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust on the tank : /

Hmm so there are some paintchips on the outside of the gas tank, and the area is starting to rust...

Is there anything I can do before this gets two serious?

It's been sitting outside for a month now, so that's why this is happening.

I have a cover in the mail, but any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Simon

Re: Rust on the tank : /

Originally posted by ResidentWarui
    Hmm so there are some paintchips on the outside of the gas tank, and the area is starting to rust...

Is there anything I can do before this gets two serious?

It's been sitting outside for a month now, so that's why this is happening.

I have a cover in the mail, but any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Simon
    Generally by the time you see paint flaking away, (it's almost always in the bottom tank seams, where water sits) it's too late for any type of repair. You might be able to fill the holes with a fuel tank "Kreem kit". It's a three step kit designed to coat the inside of the tank with an epoxy type coating preventing rust.

Comment

Lemme ask for clarification... are you saying that you're seeing rust on the outside of the tank from where paint has been chipped off? or are you seeing rust at the bottom seams of the tank where water has possibly rusted through the tank? two greatly different problems.

If it's the former, at the very least, go pick up a small bottle of fingernail polish in as close a colormatch as you can find. IF possible, take a tiny patch of ultra-fine sandpaper (600 grit wet-dry) and try and clean the rust as best you can and "paint" the bare spot with the fingernail polish. It's nowhere near a permanent fix, but it will help keep that bare metal protected till you have a chance to get a proper paint repair performed. If you have an automotive paint supply store anywhere in your area, they can probably provide you with a similar bottle of automotive touchup paint in a very close color. It'll last longer than the fingernail polish.

If the problem is rust from water leaks, you have a much bigger problem that needs to be dealt with by cleaning internally, chemically converting the rust with an acid product, and sealing the interior with one of several products designed specifically for fuel tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
        Lemme ask for clarification... are you saying that you're seeing rust on the outside of the tank from where paint has been chipped off? or are you seeing rust at the bottom seams of the tank where water has possibly rusted through the tank? two greatly different problems.

If it's the former, at the very least, go pick up a small bottle of fingernail polish in as close a colormatch as you can find. IF possible, take a tiny patch of ultra-fine sandpaper (600 grit wet-dry) and try and clean the rust as best you can and "paint" the bare spot with the fingernail polish. It's nowhere near a permanent fix, but it will help keep that bare metal protected till you have a chance to get a proper paint repair performed. If you have an automotive paint supply store anywhere in your area, they can probably provide you with a similar bottle of automotive touchup paint in a very close color. It'll last longer than the fingernail polish.

If the problem is rust from water leaks, you have a much bigger problem that needs to be dealt with by cleaning internally, chemically converting the rust with an acid product, and sealing the interior with one of several products designed specifically for fuel tanks.
        It's the former. Sorry for not specifying. Nail polish thing sounds like a good fix. They are very small spots.

-Simon 8)

Comment

If the chips are small and rust isn't too bad I thoroughly scrape the rust away with a pocket knife and remove any flaking paint at the edges and then use the nail polish or paint to fill the area. If you're lucky and the bike is black then something like black tremclad or other type of rust paint works good. I found this saves damaging the surrounding paint with the sand paper.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X