Shindengen SH541-12 4.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shindengen SH541-12 4.7

Just got this R/R and need wire identification help. Anyone ever use this one?

My SH541-12 has two red, two green, and a black sense wire in addition to the three yellow stator wires. Consider the red and green wire pairs as one wire of each color, as they are internally connected and each pair is the same circuit.

Red is the charging output and goes to the red wire in the wiring harness. I recommend that you join the two red wires on the R/R together and join them both to the wiring harness.

Green is the ground circuit, and can be grounded at the battery and/or frame if you have a good frame ground connection. Since ground connections are not always good, many have chosen to ground directly to the battery negative terminal. In your case you could run one green wire to the battery and the other to a frame ground.

Black is the sense wire, and must be connected to a wire which is hot only when the ignition circuit is activated. You can find one of these wires at the fuse block by using your tester to find a circuit activated only when the ignition is on (such as the ignition circuit). If the black wire is not connected, the output voltage of the R/R will be excessive and battery damage (at the least) will result.

The three yellow wires should be connected to the three stator output wires of any color. If one of the former stator connections went to the wire harness, remove this connection from the harness and connect it directly to a R/R yellow wire. The stator connection to the wire harness is redundant. For an explanation, see my replies in This Thread.

Comment

What color and how many wires do you have. Do you know what it was off. If it was off a Honda the three yellow wires go to the the three wires coming from the stator, the red wire is your positive, the green wire is your negative/ground and the smaller gauge wire (black or maybe brown)is a voltage sense wire that goes to a wire that is switched on by the key. Usually the wire to the brake light or coils.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure of the colors and functions.

Comment

I'm just wondering, what bike model did this R/R come from?

Comment

My SH 541-12 is a model 4.1, and it came from a 1984 Honda VF750 Sabre.

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
              I'm just wondering, what bike model did this R/R come from?
              Honda V45 Interceptor

Comment

I got it installed! I took the advice of wiring the stator directly to the R/R, bypassing the loop. I have 14.6V at 5KRPM. I also have two 55W aux. lights and with them on, I get 14.2V at 5KRPM. The voltage is stable. I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                X