speedometer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer problems

I changed the bulb in my speedometer and I put the assembly back on the bike and my speedometer does'nt work properly now
    It will read the speed while I increase speed but want go down, the needle sticks at its highest reading I have to tap the glass to make it go back to 0 mph
    the cable seems to be fine I took it off and twisted it.
    it was woking fine before i took it off it has to be something I have done.
    90 gs500e

you may have not seated the cable all the way. Try re-installing it and rotate it as you push up the cablein the housing. You should feel it seat all the way in.

Comment

While you had the cable off did you lube it? Did you make sure that you screwed both ends on tightly? Changing the bulbs should have messed up you speedometer

Comment

speedometer problems

Hi I bought one from e bay that did not work. It tested as you describe. I cut it apart and someone had knocked off the little metal tube that directs the light in the speedometer, when they replaced the bulb. There are 2 metal tubes in there that direct the light. Both are glued to the plastic socket that the bulb and rubber holder go into. If it is not inserted straight down it can knock the tube off, then it drags on the magnet that drives the cone. This might be your problem. There is an articile on how to disassemble the speedo in the restorer. Dale

Comment

Working...
        X