Battery sensor wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery sensor wire

Hi guys, been away for a couple of years, but I'm back!!
    One for the electrickery wizards, The battery on my restored '83 GSX1100ES has finaly died due to lack of use.
    Problem, this bike/battery has the additional central opening on top where a sensor plugs in, this sensor wire goes into the main loom then to the 'computer' & lights an indicator on the dash. I'm having difficulty finding a 14L-2A size replacement with this additional sensor hole, so I thought I'd buy a 'normal' one, however, leaving the sensor unconnected leaves the dash light on, shorting it to frame also leaves the light on, so i'm assuming that the computer must sense a different resistance somehow to put the light out.
    I'm not bothered if the battery light does'nt work, I just want it out!!
    Crap idea anyway as it only measures 1 cell.
    All my other GS have the same size battery WITHOUT this extra, so a 'normal' battery will fit them also.
    Or am I destined to simply remove the dash bulb?

It was a long time ago when I did mine so I could be dead wrong on this. But I vagely remember running power to the wire to get the light out. Use this info at you own risk and if it fails remove the bulb.

Comment

The replacement battery equipped for the sensor is the SYB14L-A2. You can find them all over the place if you run a search on Google or Froogle. Most motorcyle parts dealers will also probably have them. They are considerably more expensive than the same battery without the sensor capability. In view of the benefit gained compared to the premium paid, I think the sensor is pretty much of a unnecessary gimmick.

The first time I needed a new battery I installed one without the sensor, disconnected the sensor wire, and removed the bulb from the instrument panel.

Comment

Hi

Why not bay a battery that have the 6 refilling holes????
        Did that to my old Kawa.
        I put the sensor in the third hole,,(6 volt)
        The sensor needed 6 volt to trigger .
        Therefore I also got a volt alarm, as well as a level alarm.

GS1000 GLX +++

Comment

FANTASTIC!!
          It's patently obvious! I never thought of that, bought a new 6-bung battery an hour ago, upon reading this, i've just gone to the garage, tried it & its gone straight in, I feel a total plonker, thanks a zillion!!

Comment

Working...
          X