Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juice

how do you check to see if the coils are producing enough juice for the plugs.
    I have a 82 gs850g and the bike is running terrible.
    looking at the bike from the front the 2 left most exaust pipes are very blue, while the other 2 are slightly gold.
    is there a way i can check to make sure i am getting the correct amount of electricity from the coils.

it doesn't seem its a coil problem. one coil is the first and third cylinder, the other is the second and fourth cylinder. the exhaust being blue means its running really hot as compared to gold. it seems as the cylinders with the blue exhaust pipes are running leaner than the others. so i would think it would be a carb issue.

Comment

correction, on the 4's one coil go's to plugs 1&4 (the outer plugs) and the other powers plugs 2&3, (inside pair)

Comment

Right. If your problem was with a coil it would show up on 1 and 4 or 3 and 2, rather than the two left side cylinders. It does sound like a carb issue. You've just have to make sure those suckers are good and clean and adjusted correctly. Petcock needs to be working properly, and you can't have any vacuum leaks either. If you're sucking air somewhere (usually intake manifold) that will make you lean as well.

Coils are easily tested with a voltmeter for proper resistance. Do a search on "testing and coils" and you'll find the specs (I can't remember what they are off the top of my head).

Comment

Try this:

connect to one of the spark plug boot leads with a wire using an alligator clip.

Hold the other end of the wire, with the end stripped about 1/2 inch, about 1 inch from the engine fins. Use gloves and a pair of insulated pliers to hold it, or you will get nipped a bit.

it normally takes 25000 volts to jump approximately 1 inch. Half the voltage for half the distance. You should be able to get at least 1/2 an inch out of the jump, maybe more.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X