GS 1000 L Gear Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 L Gear Oil

Does anyone know exactly how much gear oil i put into each fill for the gear oil in a 1980 GS 1000 L. I was thinking of fillling the rear fill to the bottom of the treads and only putting a few drop in the top fill. Going to Mexico Sunday from CO, need to fill this up beore leaving.

thanks,
    chefmikeyp

Do a search on the forum for "how much hypoid oil". Read the post with that name. It has some useful info, and it's worth looking up. The short answer, according to it, is less than a quart for gear box and final drive combined. I haven't changed mine yet, so I can't answer from experience. Hope this helps.

Comment

The rear dif is easy drain & refill to the bottom of the threads onthe fill hole. The beveled drive is easier if you have some kind of suction gun
      to drain the oil, then remove the 10 mm bolt on the side of the case Just forward of the drive shaft flange Refill until it drips out the hole.If you don't have a suction gun you need to remove the gear shift lever & cover to access the drain hole

Comment

thanks

thanks for the advice, i'm going to fill the oil, gas grab some clothes and ride 3000 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X