The Lord Doesn't Want Me Riding A Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lord Doesn't Want Me Riding A Bike

I took my starter out so that I could clean the brushes inside like I had done before. I replace it. I press the "START" button.

That's all it took.

Something must have fallen in the hole where the starter goes, because as the chain inside the motor began to spin, it took with it a small piece of debris.

This piece of debris decided to exit my motor through a new door, one that just so happened to appear at the top of the head.

So as a piece of metal flies past my face and I hear a horrible grinding noise, I look down and a nice little hole in the head has appeared.

Well, there goes my first motorcycle, one I will never ride.

RIP 1980 Suzuki GS450-Some Letter or Another

The lord doesn't deserve the blame for this! Are you sure the motor is smoked? That's so sad...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That doesn't make any sence Are you talking about the timing chain. Sounds like you have a few other things going on inside. Can you post a pic.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I grabbed a spare head with cover, cams and valves on eBay for $50. You might be able to do the same or you might be able to talk me out of mine. I haven't had to pull my engine apart yet and don't know how much trouble it is to remove the camchain and top end or more importantly how hard it is to get it back together right, so I can't speculate as to whether you would be able to fix this motor or not. I did see a whole engine on eBay for $100 in the last couple of days or so.

Am I getting this right, you have just been trying to get the bike running and were having fuel problems. I remember posting stuff about cleaning the carbs and harness. Did you actually blow a hole in the head or just the cam cover? The cover would be no big deal to repair or replace.

Don't give up just yet. You may still get to ride your bike!

Comment

Working...
        X