Clutch question for 1978 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch question for 1978 GS750

Still pretty new to the site, but there seems to be a world of knowledge on this site.
    I replaced my stock handlebars with an almost straight drag bar. Obviously I had to remove the clutch handle, the turn signal switches, etc.
    Before I replaced the bar the clutch seemed to work fine, now it seems to be engaging the clutch almost at the full release of the clutch lever. I tried to adjust the screw at the lever, but I am not sure if I am doing it right.
    It also seems that when I am in the highest gear and give it gas, it whines and the rpms go up before it completely catches (not sure if this is the correct terminology).
    I am just getting back into riding (almost ten years have past) and have not done alot of adjustments on bikes before. I just bought this 750 about three weeks ago.
    Thanks again for the website and any information will be greatly appreciated.

Allen

You should investigate a different length of clutch cable. I thik your cable is bound up or bent too far. Winding it up and having it slip will burn the discs in short order so avoid that for teh time being.

Try adjusting the turnbuckle on the clutch lever arm at the transmission. Get the clutch hooked up good and then start backing the lever adjustment away from the lever until you get release around 1/2 to 1/3 of the arm movement. When your done there should be 1/8" of play before the cable starts to move. If there is no play you are not allowing the clutch to close all the way.

Dropping the bars sometimes requires new, shorter cables. Smaller bikes are a good source in junkyards to determine what works.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the information! If I buy a shorter cable, how difficult is it to change? Do you recomend this for a beginner?
      Thanks again,
      Allen

Comment

Cable is a piece of cake to change, only the ends of the cable that go to the transmission may have different ends, affecting the length of pull, effort, clutch feel. etc.

Hardest part is threading the cable throught the frame. Tie the other cable to the old one and carefully pull them through so you get it routed the correct way.

This is the Joy of making changes to Motorcycles. Main reason my ride is as stock as it can be.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thank you for the information, I believe I will attempt it. It will get to cold to ride soon, so if it does not work, theres always spring.
          Thanks,
          Allen

Comment

Thanks for the information!! I had the adjustment screw at the clutch lever to tight. I checked the routing of the cable, readjusted and it works smooth as silk!!
            Again, thanks for the invaluable resource!!
            I will continue to utilize the site!
            Anything that I can do to help promote the site or support it??
            Allen

Comment

Working...
            X