Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60-70mph for 80mile straight ride cause white smoke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHeck the crankcase ventilation. The higher speeds could be causeing pressure to build up in the engine and forsing oil past the rings.

There should be a tube from the top of the engine that runs down under the bike. Remove the cover on the head and see if it is blocked up. clean it out and test.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Is this pressure to blame for this shiny thing in the picture to come out? it dont fall because something holding it inside, but it not fixed like other 3 anymore.

Comment

No, pressure won't make it loose. There are two screws behind it that are loose, making it move. It is almost impossible to tighten the screws with the valve cover on the engine, you have to remove it to tighten them.

On the top of the engine look for a hose tht goes to the airbox or the the bottom of the engine.

You may want to clean the mud and dirt from the cooling fins, the engine needs air to stay cool and they are very dirty

Comment

I checked the hose you said. I found it on top of the engine
          & it goes into the airbox. I went to my mechanic to clean it
          & he says, its impossible for the hose to be clogged? .

Does it clogged on the hose or in the engine next to the hose?
          Do I need to open the top of the engine?
          Will I need to get new gasket for them?

Thanks

Comment

You mechanic is right, the hose usually does not get plugged. The problem is sometimes in the plate on top of the engine,
            Pull that plate off the top of the engine and see if it is clogged up in there. IFit is clean it out and cut a gasket from gasket paper. You can also use a cereal box or thin paperboard for a gasket.

There are two 6 mm holes in the gasket for air to move through. Duplicate the gasket as best you can.

Comment

I go again to my mechanic, and tell him to do what you said.

he was reluclant because he insist it cant be that, then he ask again what the problem and how to replicate it,

He go off with my bike 11k rpm for 2 mile ~~~~~~ :roll:
              come back and says, its all because of my airfilter.

I had smaller then stock airfilter, it allow too much air in the carb and make the mixture too lean he says. it make the cilinder too hot & cause the oil leak as you can see in the picture.

Now he cut normal span like the original airfilter was and says it will last for few hundred mile then I should change it back with hopefully the original airfilter.

He still dont open the top of the engine because he says better get the gasket first before open them anyway.

Please tell me, does what he says is OK ?

Comment

The airfilter could be the problem.

A restrictive air filter will cause poor high speed performance and increase oil burning because of higher vacuum.

I would still check the PCV system by taking the cover off the top of the valve cover. A gasket can easily be made to replace it.

Comment

Great I orderred the gasket set, will have them looked in few days once the gasket arrive.

tomorrow I will go for a 100 mile ride ..... 4th gear @ 7000-7500rpm for an hour :twisted: .. see if the smoke come again.

today I play 1st gear 9000rpm get me 30mph.

Comment

Working...
                  X