No announcement yet.

replacing rubber gasket in gas tank cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet Harold down at http://www.realgaskets.com could make these gas cap gaskets for us!

He couldn't use the silicone, of course, but he does have a nitrile material used for float bowls and such.

So we need someone with an extra gas cap or a tank that's empty for the winter to lend a gas cap and/or gasket Harold can use as a pattern.

Also, we'll need to figure out which GS models can use the same gas cap gasket. There seem to be three styles of GS gas caps: locking rectangular, locking round (L models), and under a locking cover.

Doing some poking around with different years and models, it appears that the rectangular locking gas caps have all been superceded to part number 44200-49810.

The round locking gas caps on the L models seem to have all been superceded to part number 44200-30830.

For models with the gas cap under a locking cover, the gasket is available from Suzuki for less than $2, so I'm not so worried about those.

However, just about every example of the bikes with locking gas caps needs a fresh gas cap gasket.

Of course, the gaskets neded could be the same or different for the two styles of gas cap, so we'll need to do some checking. First, let's get some precise measurements for the gaskets. If we can come up with a clear consensus or two, I'll contact Harold and see what he needs to make duplicates. He'll probably sell a zillion of them.

What do y'all think? Does that sound like a plan?

Let's get out those rulers, and please contact me if someone has a spare gas cap, or at least the gasket, they can loan out for a few weeks.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Unfortunately its not a simple flat gasket. The rubber has a lip which fits against the middle plastic piece and around the metal spring. It looks like a molded rubber part.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
        Unfortunately its not a simple flat gasket. The rubber has a lip which fits against the middle plastic piece and around the metal spring. It looks like a molded rubber part.
        Ahhh, phooey.

You're exactly right. I just took my gas cap apart, and what looks like a simple rubber donut is a molded part with a metal insert. Those gas caps are more intricate that they seem!

Shucks and other comments.

#-o ](*,)

Anybody else have any ideas?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Have you tried adding more "spring" to the metal insert? I bent the individual "petals" of the metal insert down (toward the tank) and it solved my problems with seal.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 1981 gs 850gl cap. I put 3 in one oil on it and rubbed it in carefully a few times. It absorbed the 3 in 1 oil and is now supple again and does not leak!

Comment

Working...
            X