how hard to get to valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard to get to valves?

so I'm fairly convince it is my valves that are the culprit of my poor running engine, and I think I'm going to make time tonite to get in there and find out.

how hard is it to pull the valve cover off and see the actual valves? do I need to pull the whole engine or can I do it in situ?

just getting better prepared to actually do anything to 'er... thanks!!

You can adjust the valve clearance easy with the valve cover off. Easy job getting the cover off too. I assume it's poor clearances that are giving you a problem?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

A compression test will tell you if it's valves or rings if compression is the problem. If compression is low a squirt of oil down through the plug hole will tell you if it's rings. If compression improves after the oil squirt then it's rings, if not it's vavles.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but you won't be able to actually see the valves by removing the valve cover. You'll see the camshafts, and the valve shim and bucket that's on top of each valve. To actually see the valves you'll have to pull the camshafts and the head. Lots easier to to a compression test or valve adjustment to determine the condition of your engine.

Comment

I think that it would be easier to check a lot of other things like restricted air filter, dirty plugs, old gas, etc. than do a valve clearance check. You didn't mention any of these things in your initial post.

Comment

see new post concerning dumb@ss...

it was my petcock flooding #2, not #1 being toasted...

thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X