help with 1978 GS750 points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with 1978 GS750 points

I'm trying to replace the points in my 1978 GS750. There are supposed to be 2 versions of points, a single hole, and a double hole. I ended up buying both types. The points in my bike, labelled 'ACCEL', are different. Here you can see the single and double hole types at the top, with the type installed in my GS below. Mine are much larger than the others...

Here's a closeup of mine:

Here's a closeup of the back of mine (you can see ACCEL stamped):

Here's a pic of both original points installed:

I would like to find the correct version, but have looked around here and the 'net and can't find anything that looks correct.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

- Mark

the ones on your bike are from a car of truck depending on your backing plate either set will work

Comment

Really appreciate your quick reply, Bill!

I think I found them:

I'll report back when I (hopefully) get the bike running again.

Thanks again!

- Mark

Comment

That's an aftermarket ignition setup. I have a similar unit called a MAXI-DWELL that uses GM points. Are there any other markings on the points/backing plate?
        If you can't find any replacement & still want to use points ignition, PM me & I'll send you a stock setup for the cost of shipping.
        Of course, you could get a Dyna S ignition and solve the problem for good That's why I've got leftover points setups!

Terry

Comment

The GM points were used on ALL GM V8?s (including Chevy?s 350) in the late 60?s through 70?s (pre HEI). They were once THE most common set of points on the planet. If you can?t find these at a local parts house (NAPA, or ?) then I?m going to start feeling REALLY OLD.

I?d known Monty Campbell (from Kansas City) since the mid 70?s and put a set of his Maxi-Dwell points on my 850 the day after Suzuki?s warranty was up. The Accell set up was a ?knock off? of Monty?s concept and he even considered litigation at one point. In all honesty, the Accell set up always looked like a higher quality product and I?d intended to get one, but never did.

I got the Maxi-Dwell with a VERY handy built in timing light feature. Just flip a tiny toggle switch and watch the timing mark? timing adjustment was done with an allen wrench on the GM points' dwell screw. Very handy and controllable.

If you compare the GM points with the Jap points (probably Denso or Kokusan), you?ll see that the Jap contacts open at about a 1:1 ratio with the ?rubbing block?. The GM points open with a 2:1 ratio. This additional ratio separates the GM contacts twice as fast as the Jap points, cutting the ?arc period? in half, more than doubling the service life of the contacts.

Keep the cam surface polished and lubed and you?ll get LONG life from these points.

My 850 spent most of its life with a Perlux aftermarket electronic ignition, but the Maxi points always traveled with me and got me home several times when I was experimenting with building my own electronic ignitions. To this day, I (and at least a couple 4 season friends) stick with points through the coldest part of the winter. For some reason (I have my theories, but no proof) some electronic ignitions simply stop making sparks when the mercury gets to -20F. This seems counter intuitive, but? ????

Has anyone else noticed this????

Comment

Looking back at this thread after some time...

The bike is not running right and hasn't ever since I messed with the original points. The bike wasn't run for some time, so there may be some other factors. It won't rev about 3k and the plugs get black fairly quickly. The spark is weak.

I don't know what the points are supposed to look like. Mine are arcing pretty seriously, and I just realized that might be a problem. They are gapped correctly. There were no condensors on the points when I got the bike and I don't think the Accel ones would fit under the cover. I assume that's OK because the bike used to run fine.

Any information greatly appreciated!

- Mark

Comment

You could get a Dyna S ignition (or one like it) and solve the problem for good.
              It's money well spent.

Terry

Comment

I gave up on points and bought Dyna-S's - they are $120 well spent. I now have them on both bikes.

Comment

Their should be a condenser some where ?? IT may be mounted at the coils

Comment

Dyna S happiness

Hey all,

Did more troubleshooting and the coils seemed fine so I ordered a DYNA S from Z1. Easy to install, and the bike revs like crazy now! :-) I don't really know what the problem was with the points, so that's a little wierd, but I can live with that.

I noticed a few more problems that need to be attended to now, but I'll post separate threads for those...

I'm very psyched!! Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post, and to everyone who's contributed technical information to this site. And a special thanks to Frank! Frank, you are performing a VERY useful service to those of us crazy enough to want to ride and work on these nice old bikes!

It's only about 37°F here in NYC, but it's not bad at all working outside if you're out of the wind. The sun helps, I think.

Looking forward to going for some rides now!

Comment

Working...
                    X